CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:4 Channel Encoder

Posted by Bertho Boman
on 2000-04-24 13:18:31 UTC
Hi Jon,
I am interested to see what you came up with. Also, I was surprised to see you
in the Protel mailing list but I should have known.
Bertho

Jon Elson wrote:

> Well, I have a schematic hacked out for a 4-channel quadrature encoder
> counter that
> interfaces directly to (EPP) parallel port signals. So, that is a
> one-chip solution, programmed
> onto a Xilinx FPGA. I also have some parts of an interface worked out
> for controlling the
> Burr-Brown 7744 quad 16-bit DAC. It has all the features of the Maxim
> MAX547 (is that
> the right part number that is used on the STG card?) such as
> simultaneous DAC updates,
> but is 16-bits instead of 13, and 2 quad DACs cost less than the one
> Maxim octal part.
> That will take care of most of the servo control part. Then, there will
> be optocoupled
> digital in and out.
>
> Yes, I have worked with steppers, and while they have their place, I
> don't like them
> at all for precision motion systems.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Bertho Boman 2000-04-24 13:18:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:4 Channel Encoder Jon Elson 2000-04-24 16:13:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:4 Channel Encoder