CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Routers

on 2004-05-30 08:31:29 UTC
Yes, I understand that the accuracy is the sum of the system. This is
why I'm asking about the accuracy of routers. My mill is assembled from
Aerotech slides. They have decent specs and appear to be in good shape.
I'll have the final structure for the machine done soon in something
more rigid than MDF and I expect it to be solid. The completed machine
is expected to weigh ~500Lb for 12x12x6" travels. On paper I have
.002mm resolution, haven't checked the actual table resolution yet
though. The Geckos still need to be tuned. I also need to come up with
a decent milling table that will fit my 12x12 travels.

The question is will a Seig Minimill head have better accuracy than a
router? And can I get enough RPM to do a decent job in aluminum with a
1/8" ball nose endmill? Changing the motor should not be a problem, but
will it hold up?

Thanks for the lead on the collet adapter Steven.

Coolant does worry me a bit with a router, it's going to be messy. Is
compressed air and a dust collection setup enough?

Thanks guys!

Greg

--
Gregory Kamysz
Crystal Lake, IL

Electric Ducted Fans
www.edfinfo.com

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett 2004-05-29 15:21:46 UTC Modulynx stepper driver Gregory Kamysz 2004-05-29 18:31:28 UTC Routers caudlet 2004-05-30 07:01:45 UTC Re: Routers Steven Ciciora 2004-05-30 07:54:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Routers Gregory Kamysz 2004-05-30 08:31:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Routers