CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D Text

on 2004-06-02 08:46:40 UTC
Hi Greg:
This is a cutter you'll probably have to make yourself.
Make yourself a simple single flute cutter out of a carbide blank if you
have a diamond wheel, if not make it out of a round piece of HSS (a broken
tap or center drill is a good source).
If you don't know how to do this, give me a shout back and I'll risk the
wrath of the list moms (I understand there are several now) and walk you
through it, or maybe do it on the jobshop/homeshop forum.
In the meantime, look on the Yahoo Sherline group...I've got a blurb on
cutter grinding there that may help you get started.
Cheers

Marcus

PS: you need to be aware, before you get all wrapped up in making this
cutter, that there are severe limitations to what it can do.
If you need to go any depth, the radius of the cutter of course, increases
as a function of the angle it's ground to.
This means that you may not be able to get it into tight corners at the top
of the lettering, which, of course, is where you want the best fidelity to
your lettering design.
The alternative that you've already been exploring is to program the shape
using a cylindrical shaped cutter, and create your tapers by progressively
offsetting the outline as you go down in small Z increments.
If your minimum radius permits an adequate cutter size, this way is the
better way to pick out relatively fine details.
MC