CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] "G" Im still Lost

on 2004-06-02 09:32:26 UTC
Hi test (name?),

Check out the white paper "CNC for hobbyists" in the SherlineCNC list's
files. It discusses rounding the corners.

You really need to get studying your CAD program. You can draw the
square, or the plate, and then the toolpaths. The toolpaths are most
easily done if you use the "offset" feature. Straight lines are just
offsets, arcs are offset and have a larger radius. So if the radius of
the corner was 1/2", then the new radius needed is radius + (1/2 the
tool radius).

Lines you've figured out are G01, arcs are G02 and G03. There are
different arguments for arcs, I,J,K are offsets to the center of the
arc. These offsets can be absolute or relative. The finish position is
specified. Not all that hard! Read the white paper, and try out the
examples!

Get a demo of FlashCut, you can get a good graphic of what your code is
doing. Get your DXF files working, and it will import DXF and generate
Gcode FOR you! This worked for me!

You've already got some CAD programs, but did you know that you can get
a CAD only version of Vector CAD/CAM for low cost, which is MADE for
generating Gcode! It keeps line segments and arcs in order, and creates
the tool paths FOR you. Greatly recommended!

After you've checked out the white paper, give us the dimensions of the
2nd part (plate?) and we can quickly draw it in cad and generate a tool
path for you. What cuter size are you using?

You don't mention the controller program and mill you are using.

Alan KM6VV