CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Cheapie import DRO scales for a Mill/Drill Quill?

on 2004-06-13 11:59:54 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, shyningnight@y... wrote:
> I've been contemplating upgrades to my Enco (Late 80's mfg, round
column) Mill/Drill...
> I plan to add CNC to the X and Y, and later to the Z.. the Z is
going to take a lot of work on
> the quill feed or building a new Z drive system...
>
> Anyway... that's not the point of my post.. (damn antihistamines
for allergies keep me
> from thinking a straight line...).
>
> I happened to spot some "cheapie" DRO scales on eBay in the $25 to
$35 range, for a 4" or
> 6".
> I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these glorified
calipers with delusions
> of grandeur on a Mill/Drill Quill?
>
> In the short term, just as a "dumb" DRO...
> And MAYBE, in the long term, could one be interfaced with a
computer (paralell port) as
> part of a CNC retrofit?
>
> I'd appreciate anyone experience or views on 'em!
> Paul F.

I converted my optical comparitor from conventional (dial travel
indicator type) to digital read-out by using two digital calipers
that were made in China ($19.99 each). I cut-off the measuring blades
of the calipers and fabricated simple mounting brackets.
I now have a nice comparitor that I can "zero-out" on either axis and
I have thirty-six square inches of measuring area. I can also
interface with a SPC program on my PC... It's pretty cool.

Scott

Discussion Thread

shyningnight@y... 2004-06-11 20:46:41 UTC Cheapie import DRO scales for a Mill/Drill Quill? caudlet 2004-06-12 07:26:11 UTC Re: Cheapie import DRO scales for a Mill/Drill Quill? Harvey White 2004-06-12 08:38:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cheapie import DRO scales for a Mill/Drill Quill? Jon Elson 2004-06-12 19:52:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cheapie import DRO scales for a Mill/Drill Quill? Scott Hamilton 2004-06-13 11:59:54 UTC Re: Cheapie import DRO scales for a Mill/Drill Quill?