CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Need Help Selecting CAM Software

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2004-06-13 11:59:54 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "classifiedmp" <m7070@b...>
wrote:
> I have just finished building a 3 axis, stepper actuated, gantry
> style router table. I am a model builder and my short term goal is
> to be able to cut 2D shapes such as wing ribs and fuselage
> bulkheads. Long term, I am learning Rhino 3D and eventually hope to
> produce 3D objects for vacuum forming and fiberglass molds such as
> canopies, cowls, fuselages, etc.
> I am well versed in 2D CAD, dangerous with 3D and I don't have a
> clue when it comes to CAM. I am looking for recommendations for a
> reasonably priced (preferably cheap) easy to learn CAM package that
> will accept my existing AutoCAD or dxf files. Maybe "cheap"
> and "easy to learn" don't go together, so a reasonable compromise
> may have to do.

DeskCNC at $250 is without a doubt the most cam for the dollar spent.
It has 2D dxf capability for your present needs (drilling, contouring
and pocketing), and can also create 3D surface machining toolpaths
from your Rhino designs, saved as .stl format. Besides these
capabilities, you can process image files to create 2d or 3D tracing
and carving projects, and use the built in text engraving
capabilities to add identification and personalization to your
projects. There's lots more too, including a Windows based machine
controller with editor and toolpath display.

http://www.imsrv.com/deskcnc

If you need a little more sophisticated 3D machining capabilities,
like waterline cutting on surface angular selections or restricted
machining zones, look at StlWork. It's on sale right now for just
$75.00, and that price includes a license for Accutrans, the 3D file
translator (and then some) from Micromouse.

http://www.stlwork.com

Both DeskCNC and StlWork can process a male part model to create a
female toolpath for mold machining.

Fred Smith - IMService
THE source for low cost Cad-Cam
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby for discounts and spscials

Discussion Thread

classifiedmp 2004-06-11 17:25:32 UTC Need Help Selecting CAM Software Michael Milligan 2004-06-11 19:02:15 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need Help Selecting CAM Software notoneleft 2004-06-11 19:38:05 UTC Re: Need Help Selecting CAM Software Fred Smith 2004-06-13 11:59:54 UTC Re: Need Help Selecting CAM Software