CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Thumb Calibration

Posted by reed_irion
on 2004-07-12 17:47:46 UTC
Have you tried these speeds and feeds ? I'm really suprised. 7.6 ipm
seems really agressive. But then again I have no frame of reference.
Haven't I heard something about the chip carrying away most of the
heat at higher speeds and feeds ?

Maybe some of the participants could just throw out some specific
instances of speeds and feeds vs. material when using smaller mills?
Like minimills?

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Steven Ciciora
<sciciora@A...> wrote:
> I am no machinist, but sort of like when I was a kid and wanted to
be a
> rock star, I pretend I'm one on the weekends.
>
> I use ME Consultant 2.0 to calculate my speeds and feeds.
While "Hot
> rolled mild steel" was not listed as an option, when I
chose "Steel - Low
> carbon (1020)" and plugged in the .5" 4 flute hss end mill, 0.1"
deep, 0.5"
> width of cut, it returned 821 RPM, 7.6 ipm, 0.474 HP. For this
material,
> it uses 107.5 sfpm. The program does a lot more, but I mainly use
it for
> speeds and feeds. I also bought kwiktrig, but when I just tried to
run it,
> the executable seemed to have disappeared, and when I re-installed
it, it
> told me the eval time limit has expired :-(
>
> A google search should turn up places to download these programs.
>
> Good luck,
>
> - Steven Ciciora
>
> At 05:32 PM 7/12/2004 +0000, you wrote:
> >I am trying to get an idea of rules of thumb for speed and feeds
> >that work.
> >
> >This weekend I was milling my first few parts with EMC and I
noticed
> >that the cutters dont fare quite as well as they did when I was
> >doing it by hand.
> >
> >I made a .1" deep cut in hot rolled mild steel at .9 ipm for about
> >30 inches. The HSS tool died quite suddenly from overheating, with
> >no gradual degradation. It was working fine with little smoke from
> >the cutting oil then- poof, blue chips burned cutter... The
machine
> >has a 2 HP motor and was running about 400 rpm.
> >
> >Should I switch to carbide ? I never liked them because I chip
them
> >easily, but the EMC is much more patient than me so maybe this wont
> >be a problem. How much improvement will I get from carbide ? Will
> >the flood coolant system make a big difference ?
> >
> >What are other users experiences with speed/feeds in various
> >materials ?

Discussion Thread

reed_irion 2004-07-12 10:32:23 UTC Thumb Calibration Fred Smith 2004-07-12 10:56:49 UTC Re: Thumb Calibration reed_irion 2004-07-12 11:42:10 UTC Re: Thumb Calibration Steven Ciciora 2004-07-12 12:03:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Thumb Calibration Fred Smith 2004-07-12 14:52:16 UTC Re: Thumb Calibration reed_irion 2004-07-12 17:47:46 UTC Re: Thumb Calibration metlmunchr 2004-07-13 08:08:24 UTC Re: Thumb Calibration Raymond Heckert 2004-07-15 16:16:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Thumb Calibration