CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I have setup a web page featuring my Mini-Mill conversion plans

Posted by Lance Hopper
on 2004-08-04 05:41:09 UTC
Hello,
From the pictures you can tell;

He's using stepper motors

He's using a rotating ballnut and fixed ballscrew for the Z axis,
there are probably ballscrews in X and Y but can't tell from pics.

Use Geckos for bipolar steppers or brushed servos, use Rutex for
brushed or brushless servos. Geckos have better online support, and
bigger user base. Use http://www.pico-systems.com/motion.html if you
want a high performance Linux EMC only based system.

You can use any software you want, from DOS based, to Windows based
to Linux based. I recommend Mach2 for windows, free nearly fully
functional demo, $150 for full version, great support. Linux EMC, a
work in progress but functional, totally free, higher learning curve.
Linux EMC can be a basic open loop stepper system (like most all
hobby cnc software) up to a more professional fully closed loop servo
based system, with the right hardware.

Scour this site CAD CAM EDM DRO and;
Yahoo Groups DIY-CNC
Yahoo Groups GrizHFminimill
Yahoo Groups minimill
Yahoo Groups minicncmill
Yahoo Groups mach1mach2cnc
Yahoo Groups geckodrive
http://www.cnczone.com (lots of cnc mini mills, tons more)
http://www.linuxcnc.org/ (EMC info)
http://sherline.com/emc/ (download Linux EMC)
http://www.artofcnc.ca (download Mach2)

Study up, search the above sites for information, then ask
questions. Do some homework before you drop any money. Good luck.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "patveth" <patveth@h...>
wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> I'm interested in your plans but would like a little info before I
> order.
>
> 1. What do you use for XY & Z lead screws? Ball screws or?
>
> 2. Do you use servo's or stepper motors?
>
> 3. What do you recommend or use to control the steppers or servo's,
> Gecko or?
>
> 4. What software do you use and or recommend.
>
> TIA,
>
> Pat
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Steele"
> <ronjsteele1@y...> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have created a page featuring my Mini-Mill conversion plans.
The
> > plans are available on this web page for those who would like to
> > convert their own Mini-Mills using my design.
> >
> > http://www.stirlingsteele.com/millplans.html
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ron Steele-

Discussion Thread

Ron Steele 2004-07-31 17:00:11 UTC I have setup a web page featuring my Mini-Mill conversion plans patveth 2004-08-04 01:33:24 UTC Re: I have setup a web page featuring my Mini-Mill conversion plans Lance Hopper 2004-08-04 05:41:09 UTC Re: I have setup a web page featuring my Mini-Mill conversion plans Ron Steele 2004-08-05 04:11:53 UTC Re: I have setup a web page featuring my Mini-Mill conversion plans