CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 2000-05-04 12:23:54 UTC
I think the point Fred is trying to make is that CNC is not always the best
choice. Considering the business he is in (selling CAD/CAM software) I think
it is pretty honorable that he would point out that using the cranks can
sometimes be a much faster may to get specific jobs done. OTOH, as you point
out Jon there are jobs that can't be done as efficiently or at all with
manual methods.

Tim
[Denver, CO]

----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2000 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names

> Fred Smith wrote:
>
> > >Then we had Fred smith pushing CAD/CAM, and even making a foolish
> > statement
> > >that anyone making just one or two parts shouldnt be using CNC at
> > all.
> > >He did get soundly shouted down on that statement!
> >
> > For example, Drilling and Tapping a single hole. I guarantee that I
> > can do
> > this faster on my Bridgeport than on any CNC machine. This is a
> > quick,
> > efficient process, all the tools are ALWAYS placed near my work area,
> > and
> > just reaching to push a button makes for a less efficient process.
>
> Yes, this is probably true, but then I had a single piece (a fixture
> plate) that needed
> 144 center drilled, through drilled and tapped 10-32 holes. I did the
> whole job in about
> 30 minutes, with beautiful results, with a CNC system and a tapping
> head. (First time
> I did something real with the tapping head, what a back saver!)
>
> And, I have done a number of one-off parts that couldn't be made with a
> manual
> machine, or would have taken days of fooling around with rotary tables
> and sine
> blocks. And, they would have been vastly less accurate due to having to
> reposition
> the part many times.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2000-05-04 12:13:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names Tim Goldstein 2000-05-04 12:23:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names Jon Anderson 2000-05-04 12:37:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names Dan Mauch 2000-05-04 12:53:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names Jon Elson 2000-05-04 13:25:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names james owens 2000-05-04 16:14:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names Jon Elson 2000-05-04 22:02:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names