CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names

Jon Anderson wrote:

> Fred Smith wrote:
>
> > I stand by my statement that the best way to machine a single
> > part is OFTEN and USUALLY by turning the cranks. As I pointed out
> in
> > my talk, there are indeed shapes and contours that can more
> > efficiently be machined with CNC. There are however those that are
> > not best done that way.
>
> As someone that makes his living making parts for others in qty. from
> 1
> to several hundred, I can second this. By the time I've created
> geometry, run it through CAM, cleaned up the code, transferred to the
> computer running my MAX, proofed the program (visual run-through for
> errant moves), and set up the part and tool offset(s), I can often be
> done and on to the next part by being clever with manual setups.

Ahh, but there's the difference. I make a lot of instrument panels and
such stuff.
Very simple rectangular cutouts, holes drilled in various spots, etc. I
DON'T use
a CAD/CAM system for these, in almost all cases. I either write the
G-code
by hand, or use a couple of programs that write sections for the
rectangular
slots and such. Using CNC, I can do some real tricks, like boring round
holes
with the same end mill that cuts the slots, rather than having to change
drills
half a dozen times. These things are VERY low volume, like one stack of

6 panels is an entire production run. When I did this stuff by hand, it
was VERY
sweat-producing, as I would spend hours cutting the slots, coming up to
the
desired coordinate, and one moment's inattention, and 6 hours of work is

trashed! Now, I can do the whole batch perfectly in the time it would
have
taken me to do two of them by hand.

I'll NEVER go back to manual, although I DO miss the simplicity of
drilling a
hole by hand in some piece of material.

Jon Elson 2000-05-04 12:13:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names Tim Goldstein 2000-05-04 12:23:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names Jon Anderson 2000-05-04 12:37:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names Dan Mauch 2000-05-04 12:53:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names Jon Elson 2000-05-04 13:25:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names james owens 2000-05-04 16:14:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names Jon Elson 2000-05-04 22:02:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Names