CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Kipware CNC software

Posted by caudlet
on 2004-08-18 19:49:39 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "djamer88" <dennisf38@a...>
wrote:
> Hello Group
> Anyone have experince with Kipware for a lathe application looks
> simple not bad price anyone using it, thinking about purchasing the
> software but i would like to know if anyone has had any experince
> with the software thanks.
>
> Dennis

Dennis. I haven't seen to much chatter (actually, not any I can
remember) about this package. Most of the packages stick with
industry standard CAD->CAM->Controller approaches. It appears the
Kipware is based on conversational programming, meaning you program
it at the machine using simple canned moves. While this may work out
well for a job shop and simple one-off pieces (like he points out the
bulk of normal machine shop work), it will not take the g-code from
other programs without a special translation piece.

Before you plunk down your hard earned money, take a look at MACH2
(mach1mach2cnc yahoo group). There is a lathe piece that includes
threading (you have to know where the head spindle is and to do
threading with CNC) and the mill in the same 150 dollar package.
It's free to try. BTW MACH2 alread has some conversational pieces
for the mill program. It supports a macro language that will let you
do just about anything you want (if you are inclined to like
programming).

What kind of CNC lathe do you have? If you are still working on the
conversion then don't buy anything until you have the mechanicals
worked out. Download the free eval of MACH2 (unlimited time but
limited to 1000 lines of code) and do som simulations on your
computer. Monitor the list and go back and read the lathe related
stuff.

For the kind of things I cut (decorative signs in wood and steel) I
don't think I could get by with conversational programming! I have
the process down now so it only takes a few minutes to draw the
design, define the toolpaths and cut sequence and move it to the
machine.

I have a 12X36 lathe but it will be my last CNC project since I only
use it to make one off parts and I can twiddle the handwheels to get
the simple stuff I normally need.

Discussion Thread

djamer88 2004-08-18 08:14:39 UTC Kipware CNC software caudlet 2004-08-18 19:49:39 UTC Re: Kipware CNC software metlmunchr 2004-08-19 07:51:52 UTC Re: Kipware CNC software kakushaku 2004-08-19 08:15:13 UTC Re: Kipware CNC software djamer88 2004-08-24 16:51:05 UTC Kipware CNC software metlmunchr 2004-08-25 06:06:41 UTC Re: Kipware CNC software