CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Kipware CNC software

Posted by metlmunchr
on 2004-08-19 07:51:52 UTC
I agree with Tom's statements on this. Some may disagree, but I've
seen some evidence that dependence on a conversational interface can
lead to a person being somewhat crippled if the job gets the least bit
complicated, because they keep the person somewhat isolated from how
the machine works. A friend has a $75,000 plasma cutter that runs a
conversational interface for the shapes they commonly cut. The
machine sits idle about 90% of the time, simply because they can't do
anything whatsoever with it unless its a shape within the menu. On
several occasions I could have had him burn a few thousand dollars of
parts that have a good profit margin in the burning. They're odd
shapes and not suitable to menu driven programming, so I told him I
could generate the code files for him. They've had the machine 3
years and have no idea how to even load and run a g code file on it.
One of the real advantages of a cnc machine, in addition to its
automation, is the ability to make complicated parts, which often have
the best margins. The conversational interfaces won't get you there.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "caudlet" <thom@t...> wrote:

> Dennis. I haven't seen to much chatter (actually, not any I can
> remember) about this package. Most of the packages stick with
> industry standard CAD->CAM->Controller approaches. It appears the
> Kipware is based on conversational programming, meaning you program
> it at the machine using simple canned moves. While this may work out
> well for a job shop and simple one-off pieces (like he points out the
> bulk of normal machine shop work), it will not take the g-code from
> other programs without a special translation piece.

Discussion Thread

djamer88 2004-08-18 08:14:39 UTC Kipware CNC software caudlet 2004-08-18 19:49:39 UTC Re: Kipware CNC software metlmunchr 2004-08-19 07:51:52 UTC Re: Kipware CNC software kakushaku 2004-08-19 08:15:13 UTC Re: Kipware CNC software djamer88 2004-08-24 16:51:05 UTC Kipware CNC software metlmunchr 2004-08-25 06:06:41 UTC Re: Kipware CNC software