CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: (calling each other) Names

Posted by Eric Keller
on 2000-05-04 13:31:13 UTC
This (cnc vs hand cranking) is one of those subjects where we may as well
agree to disagree and let it go. I only use cranks, but only because i
didn't get trained on the CNC machine yet. I see the real machinists using
CNC more than non cnc maybe because it is new, but also because it is really
easy. We have the accurite system that Ron Ginger likes, and if a part has
any complexity it is usually faster to punch the buttons on the machine and
let the computer cut it. I know that when i am doing something boring i
like to cut corners and, say take too heavy of a cut. Cnc doesn't do that.
Plus if you have a bolt circle or any kind of pocket, cnc is a no-brainer.
We do have 3d control.

Unfortuately we have no way of transferring files to the cnc, so all
programming has to be done at the machine. The good thing is that it is
very easy to program and you can save your program to disk. It computes the
tool path itself and is exactly what is needed around here where there is
almost no production of multiple parts. If only i had 15-20k that i
wouldn't notice if it was gone...
eric

> Fred Smith wrote:
>
> > I stand by my statement that the best way to machine a single
> > part is OFTEN and USUALLY by turning the cranks. As I pointed out in
> > my talk, there are indeed shapes and contours that can more
> > efficiently be machined with CNC. There are however those that are
> > not best done that way.

Discussion Thread

Eric Keller 2000-05-04 13:31:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: (calling each other) Names David M. Munro 2000-05-04 16:32:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cranks