CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wanted .... starter machine

Posted by Russell Ed
on 2004-08-20 19:03:45 UTC
Hi Marv and thanks for the response. You are correct about the CNC router. I have a few books and
it looks like a gantry style router would be the most appropriate for woodworking applications. The construction material isn't that important at this point other then the accuracy issue. Since I'm not well versed in what 'accurate' really means yet I can only say that I would want to cut out small wooden gears and other pieces but have a machine size that would accommodate larger applications such as cabinet doors later on. I believe that wood of any thickness would have to be cut in multiple passes so repeatability of tool path might be an issue. The things I'm seeing on the net seem to suggest that 'bigger' is directly proportional to cost as far as CNC goes. I believe that my first system will most likely not be my last so the starting size would be less critical but for a ball park range I believe that 24" x 24" x 4" axis travels might keep me from having to upgrade for awhile until I get my feet wet. Again, I've been in woodworking for a few years but am a complete novice to CNC so If some of what I try to explain doesn't make sense please allow for the obvious learning curve. My zip is 46268 Indianapolis area. ( additionally photo engraving in wood really has my interest peaked but again I don't know if I'm talking a totally different process here or if it can all be handled on the same machine )

best regards

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: marvinstovall [mailto:lstovall@...]
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 4:38 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wanted .... starter machine

Being a woodworker, I assume you are looking for a CNC router. What
size did you have in mind and what type of machine are you looking
for? One made from MDF, Aluminum or something else? What do you plan
on doing with it? Plaques, cabinet doors, walkin doors, photo
engraving? How accruate do you need it? What is your zip code?

Marv

-- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "russelleruss"
<ed.russell@t...> wrote:
> Hi all ... I've been a woodworker for several years and absolutely
> fascinated with CNC but just couldn't find the right starting place.
> Every time I took a deep breath and started to research again I was
> overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information one has to wade
> through to get started. Which made me wonder, is it possible that
> any of you ,out there, who have been at this for awhile and probably
> have built several systems, do you have an old system that you've
> outgrown and would like to sell ? That way I could at least get the
> basic parts together .. ball screws... linear movement parts ...
> stepper motors etc. and something that actually works that I could
> set up the computer and softwear with and maybe eventually scarf the
> parts from and attempt a system of my own design. I would of course
> pay a fair price and shipping. Just a shot in the dark. If I've
> stirred your entrepreneurial spirit a little please write at
> ed.russell@t... ( located in Indianapolis )
>
> Thanks much

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.