CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] V.F.D. - 3 Phase motor problem --- need some advice

Posted by Bob McKnight
on 2004-08-29 18:01:06 UTC
Abrupt stop or coasting stop?
A capacitor blew?
Disconnect power from machine
short any capacitor, just in case it is charged
Eyeball capacitor to see if it has physical trauma
disconnect one terminal from capacitor and
check with ohm meter or continuity tester
should be open or very very high resistance
bob

In a message dated 8/29/04 7:11:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ja_erickson@... writes:

> While running my Bridgeport mill yesterday I heard a sound that
> resembled a cap gun going off, then the spindle motor came to a
> stop. I use an Automation Direct V.F.D. with all of its recommended
> fuses along with a conventional Bridgeport motor to drive the
> spindle, no other electronics are involved in my set-up. I would
> like to know if anybody else has experienced any problems like
> this.The fuses all check o.k. and there arent any loose or shorted
> wires. And is there any way to tell if the motor itself is o.k. by
> using a multimeter or some other device. any help is really
> appreciated.
>
> thanks
> jeff

You can at least check for shorts to ground, etc. with a multi-meter.
You will have to access the wiring at the motor and check from each
wire/terminal of the motor to ground. To get an accurate read though,
you should disconnect all of the wires that supply power to the motor
before you make the measurements. Although, if the motor did short it
would be likely that the VFD would have blown some fuses/breakers or
shown an over current condition on the display, if it has a display.

You can also check for voltage out of the VFD but it MUST be
connected
to a motor when you turn it on. Otherwise you can fry one of those if
nothing is connected to the output terminals.

Hope this is of some help.

Randy Abernathy
4626 Old Stilesboro Road NW
Acworth, GA 30101-4066
Phone / Fax: 770-974-5295
Cell: 678-772-4113
E-mail: cnc002@...

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

wanliker@...,
timg@... Moderator: pentam@...
indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators] URL to
this
group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
it if you have trouble. http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC
DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO
EXCEPTIONS........
bill List Mom List Owner

Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

ja_erickson 2004-08-29 15:41:09 UTC V.F.D. - 3 Phase motor problem --- need some advice cnc002@a... 2004-08-29 16:26:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] V.F.D. - 3 Phase motor problem --- need some advice Hugh Prescott 2004-08-29 17:11:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] V.F.D. - 3 Phase motor problem --- need some advice Bob McKnight 2004-08-29 18:01:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] V.F.D. - 3 Phase motor problem --- need some advice