CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] V.F.D. - 3 Phase motor problem --- need some advice

Posted by cnc002@a...
on 2004-08-29 16:26:18 UTC
In a message dated 8/29/04 7:11:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ja_erickson@... writes:

> While running my Bridgeport mill yesterday I heard a sound that
> resembled a cap gun going off, then the spindle motor came to a stop.
> I use an Automation Direct V.F.D. with all of its recommended fuses
> along with a conventional Bridgeport motor to drive the spindle, no
> other electronics are involved in my set-up. I would like to know if
> anybody else has experienced any problems like this.The fuses all
> check o.k. and there arent any loose or shorted wires. And is there
> any way to tell if the motor itself is o.k. by using a multimeter or
> some other device. any help is really appreciated.
>
> thanks
> jeff

You can at least check for shorts to ground, etc. with a multi-meter. You
will have to access the wiring at the motor and check from each wire/terminal of
the motor to ground. To get an accurate read though, you should disconnect
all of the wires that supply power to the motor before you make the
measurements. Although, if the motor did short it would be likely that the VFD would
have blown some fuses/breakers or shown an over current condition on the display,
if it has a display.

You can also check for voltage out of the VFD but it MUST be connected to a
motor when you turn it on. Otherwise you can fry one of those if nothing is
connected to the output terminals.

Hope this is of some help.

Randy Abernathy
4626 Old Stilesboro Road NW
Acworth, GA 30101-4066
Phone / Fax: 770-974-5295
Cell: 678-772-4113
E-mail: cnc002@...

ja_erickson 2004-08-29 15:41:09 UTC V.F.D. - 3 Phase motor problem --- need some advice cnc002@a... 2004-08-29 16:26:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] V.F.D. - 3 Phase motor problem --- need some advice Hugh Prescott 2004-08-29 17:11:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] V.F.D. - 3 Phase motor problem --- need some advice Bob McKnight 2004-08-29 18:01:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] V.F.D. - 3 Phase motor problem --- need some advice