CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Power supply source? Geckos/stepper combo

on 2004-09-05 03:15:07 UTC
I would highly recomend you read the white paper on GeckoDrive.com.

A simple transformer, rectifier and capacitor will get the job done
better and for less than a switcher power supply.

MPJA offers a 24V CT transformer / 10 amps. $25.00

with the apporx 1.2V loss thru the bridge, you get 22.8v, then with
the 1.414x by converting RMS to DC, you 32 VDC.

I would also recommend you get a couple (3) 12V fans and wire them in
series. This will blead down the capacitor when you shut off.

I didn't find any data sheets for your motor(s) so cannot comment on
the voltage, but read the white paper before you commit. It may be
that you can power them with 70 volts, and a pair of those
tranformers will do nicely.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Gracey" <kgracey@p...>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Wabeco D6000 lathe from MDAPrecision. I'm putting together
> Gecko system for two-axis control. These are the motor
specifications:

> Sanjo Denki
> 103-807-6241
> 12-300V
> 1.9A
> Stall Torque 1.17nm
>
> 36V seems to be the typical voltage for these motors. I'm stuck on
> the power supply. Would prefer to use an off-the shelf power
supply.
> Looks like I need 34-36V, 3-5A. I've checked JDR, Jameco, and a few
> other surplus places. Any tips?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Discussion Thread

Ken Gracey 2004-09-05 02:45:34 UTC Power supply source? Geckos/stepper combo turbulatordude 2004-09-05 03:15:07 UTC Re: Power supply source? Geckos/stepper combo Keith Clark 2004-09-05 05:31:18 UTC Re: Power supply source? Geckos/stepper combo