CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bleed Resistor... Do geckos need a fan?

Posted by R Rogers
on 2004-09-21 17:47:44 UTC
Bob and Abby,

I use a 5 -10 ohm adjustable resistor set at 7 ohms for my E-stop circuit. It immediately dumps all 3 100 volt 25k capacitors and stops the servos. I used a variation of Mariss's E stop circuit. I had a little trouble understanding the drawing so maybe I have it as he outlined. I have a 110volt normally open and normally closed relay that controls the circuit. I use a normally open momentary "Start" switch and a normally closed momentary "E-stop" switch. I have a jumper from the coil of the relay that goes up to the normally closed Estop and "latches" the relay when I push the Start switch which energizes the coil of the relay. Then the whole control system is energized through contacts on the same relay. and when I push the Estop it drops the current to the coil in the relay and then "shorts" the caps with another set of contacts in the same relay through the 7 ohm resistor to dump the caps. I'm sure I made it sound more confusing than it really is. I think the schematic is in the
"files" section of this group. Anyways, it works great. Without this dump circuit when you do an E-stop the machine will not stop until the servos have bled down the capacitors. Depending on your configuration this could be quite a bit of distance. I hope this helps, Abby.

Just wanted to mention Bob, I'm using your Mach2 board and it is working great. 14 months of dust, chips, coolant and usual grime in the air of my shop and it has been flawless. My cabinet is completely sealed and it still gets in there <shrug>

I have my Geckos mounted on heat sinks without paste with fans and they stay really cool. I checked them quite often when I first started using the machine. Because I'm sure as everyone knows by now I'm driving the knee for Z with a 40lb/in servo with no gas springs or counterweights on the knee and even when I'm peck drilling it's never felt much over 120 degrees F. Normal milling they barely get warm on any axis. Although I didnt use paste they are mounted tightly on a very fine machined surface which I'm sure is helping the heat transfer. The paste is one of those "I'll get to that someday" deals. I'm not suggesting that this is acceptable, I'm just lazy and got away with it.

Ron

Robert Campbell <bob@...> wrote:
Abby,

I feel that a bleed resistor should be used to discharge the capacitor after
you shut off the power.

You defiantly need to use thermal paste. Without it you will not get the
proper heat transfer from the Gecko drive to the heat sink.

I always use fans in my control enclosures. You will also need to provide a
hole (with a fan filter and cover) at the opposite side so that air can come
in.

Bob Campbell
Bob@...
www.campbelldesigns.com