CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sound logic breakout question

Posted by R Rogers
on 2004-09-24 12:51:54 UTC
Jim,

Thanks, and it just dawned on me that if I use a master switch like that on the console I can use a double contact switch that makes the E-stop circuit as well as fires up the breakout board. That way the control cannot be started until the master control switch is on and the PC and breakout board using a relay off of jumper 4 allows it.

Thanks again, Ron

james_cullins@... wrote:
The simplest solution is as you said just put another switch just for the
breakout board.
Jim
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Wille Padnos"
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sound logic breakout question

> R Rogers wrote:
>
> >james_cullins@... wrote:
> >Ron,
> >It sounds like you have one of the early breakout boards.
> >If you want every thing off before computer power. You could pick up 5v
form
> >the game port or USB port to activate a relay that would power the rest
> >of the system.
> >Is there a particular reason why you want to wire it this way?
> >
> >/// Yes, I want to have the system to where the PC must be on before the
servo control system can be started. My 12 year old son was in the shop one
day and I've been teaching him to run the manual mill. I was up front and
unbeknownst to me he decided he'd use the CNC, he was making a part for his
pocket bike. He hit the start button without turning on the PC and he yelled
the machine is moving. I ran back and hit the E-stop. It was creeping on the
Y and headed for a crash.

> >The Estop/capacitor dump circuit is tied to a Main relay that shuts off
the entire control including the Breakout board. I would like to use the
jumper4 off of the board because Mach2 must be up and cleared before it is
active however the control must be on powering the Breakout board before
that can occur. Its a catch 22.

> >Possibly just another switch on my console that powers the board is the
answer?. Do you have any suggestions?

> >Bob and Jim, thanks for the fast response to my question.
> >
> >Ron
> >
> Hmmm.
>
> You may be able to use an ATX computer power supply for the control
> board (and other controls, but obviously not the motors). The standby
> power would be plenty for the breakout board and a few relays - I think
> it's supposed to be 2 amps or so at 5V.
>
> You can then use the output from the heartbeat detect to close the power
> switch contact on the power supply, which would enable the rest of the
> controls. You'd probably need a momentary contact, since ATX supplies
> generally use a short contact to toggle power. I'm not sure what kind
> of other signals need to go between the controls and the power supply
> (like power good or similar), so there are a few details to work out.
>
> It Just Might Work (tm)
> - Steve

timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
[Moderators]

> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
you have trouble.

> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
bill
List Mom
List Owner

Yahoo! Groups Links