CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sound logic breakout question

Posted by R Rogers
on 2004-09-24 07:28:46 UTC
james_cullins@... wrote:
Ron,
It sounds like you have one of the early breakout boards.
If you want every thing off before computer power. You could pick up 5v form
the game port or USB port to activate a relay that would power the rest
of the system.
Is there a particular reason why you want to wire it this way?

/// Yes, I want to have the system to where the PC must be on before the servo control system can be started. My 12 year old son was in the shop one day and I've been teaching him to run the manual mill. I was up front and unbeknownst to me he decided he'd use the CNC, he was making a part for his pocket bike. He hit the start button without turning on the PC and he yelled the machine is moving. I ran back and hit the E-stop. It was creeping on the Y and headed for a crash.

The Estop/capacitor dump circuit is tied to a Main relay that shuts off the entire control including the Breakout board. I would like to use the jumper4 off of the board because Mach2 must be up and cleared before it is active however the control must be on powering the Breakout board before that can occur. Its a catch 22.

Possibly just another switch on my console that powers the board is the answer?. Do you have any suggestions?

Bob and Jim, thanks for the fast response to my question.

Ron

//////

I believe most people wire the breakout board separate and use a normally
closed contact on the Emergency Stop Switch wired to the Estop on the
breakout board. This way Mach2 gets signaled through the Estop pin.
If you have one of the very early boards it may not have that feature.
The new boards will even remove the 5v com to the Gecko drives on an Estop
.
I hope this helps.
Jim Cullins
Sound Logic