CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Waterjet pressures ?

on 2004-10-14 21:36:51 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Craig <docsys@a...>
wrote:
> Glad to see this discussed here again, might be off topic. But I
would
> like to a have CNC waterjet controlled machine.
> I would incorporate a commercial purchased head and system, and
build
> the rest myself.

I would look at making the most I could and build the rest. I think
if I were to look at a small milling unit, I would buy the Mini-Mill
for the head as it is already set for collets and variable speed
More than an instant Z but not quite buying a machine.

< snip>

> Total is about $52, 000 just for waterjet system only no CNC. The
pump
> is 25 horsepower.

I had looked at water jet a few years ago for aluminum and at that
time, the head unit could fit on a beefy router table that we have
discussed. the water pressure needs to get to the head while the
pump sits on the floor so the gantry or head would not have to be
sturdy than a decent router.

> The operating cost per hour including power, water and maintenance
was
> $2.55 full time running.
>
> The capital layout is a little more than my plasma cutter, so I am
> waiting for some one to reduce this cost.
>
> Bruce

That seems to be a very, very lost cost for a 25 hp motor. probably
3 phase for that large.

I know that water jets have been the choice for different parts and
as I understand, the harder materials require some abrasive
something. the water pressure drives them into the work kinda like
sandblasting. that would be the abrasive doing the work, and not
the water pressure itself.

As I see it, you could make a plasma/router table with a heavy frame
and interchangable bed. Plasma beds are often sheetmetal on it's
side and a water bath under.

The water jet verson would need to have a large water bed under to
catch and difuse the energy of the blast.

I was kinda hoping that there was a seperation where water and
pressure = cutting and not need abrasives.

Also, it seems that for home shops, most of us could hook up a 5-10hp
high pressure pump and make an iddy-biddy orface and make our own
unit.

The pressure of the water and the small opening would equal some
pressure that would cut SOMETHING. Heck, I can cut snow with a 3/16
low pressure water jet. (best not to comment on that) and wax seems
to be a potential if it were thin. Maybe thin wood ? not sure if
it would get wet.....

Maybe the lack of posts on such a thing means it is not really in the
home-shop range as yet.

As Bill mentioned, keep this on home building of a machine and not
strictly commercial stuff.

Dave

Discussion Thread

turbulatordude 2004-10-14 08:12:27 UTC Waterjet pressures ? metlmunchr 2004-10-14 12:20:26 UTC Re: Waterjet pressures ? Bruce Craig 2004-10-14 16:19:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Waterjet pressures ? turbulatordude 2004-10-14 21:36:51 UTC Re: Waterjet pressures ? josef wagner 2004-10-14 23:16:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Waterjet pressures ? turbulatordude 2004-10-14 23:47:49 UTC Re: Waterjet pressures ? Bruce Craig 2004-10-15 14:32:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Waterjet pressures ? turbulatordude 2004-10-15 18:48:00 UTC Re: Waterjet pressures ? Jon Elson 2004-10-16 10:19:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Waterjet pressures ?