CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Completely new to all this...

on 2004-11-02 10:21:45 UTC
Warren,

Our breakout board can support four axis. The limitation on the number of
axis is a limit on the number of pins on the parallel port.
If you need two more axis, then you can install a second board. Six axis is
the limit for Mach2.

Our board supports an add-on board for relays and a board for spindle speed
control. The basic board supports solid-state relays.

The number of relay outputs for things like coolant and misters per board is
basically 3 in addition to the charge pump.

Bob Campbell
Bob@...
www.campbelldesigns.com
Breakout board
THC board sets
CNC router plans
Stepper Motors
VisualMill Basic
----- Original Message -----
From: "wvickery2003" <wvickery2003@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 11:03 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Completely new to all this...

> Thanks for the help Ron,
>
> That's cleared up some problems I had. I never even knew that a
> breakout board existed. Just as a matter of interest, does the
> power supply connect to the breakout board if you use one?
>
> Do you know how many axes can be operated off Bob Campbell's Mach2
> board and how many 'extras' can be operated as well (like coolant
> etc.)?
>
> Thanks
> Warren Vickery
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@y...>
> wrote:
>> Warren,
>>
>> Nema 34's would be a good choice for that size mill. There are
> many different configurations for CNC systems. Basically, there are
> 6 different components.
>>
>> A computer with 1ghz speed or faster (dell sells a 2.2 ghz for
> $349).
>>
>> Controller software, there are many to choose from( I personally
> recommend Mach2). Downloading demos from various sources for CNC
> software is a good way to make a selection.
>>
>> A breakout board that is an interface betwen the PC and the motion
> control system(If you use artofcnc Mach2, Bob campbells Mach2
> breakout board is perfect), There are ways to get around using a
> Breakout board but it involves soldering and making up DB25 plugs
> and cables however, The breakout board adds many features to the
> control like accessory control for spindle start, coolant, etc and
> travel limits and home limits for the work envelope. Many safety
> features like "watchdog" that monitors certain pins for
> inappropriate signals from the PC to prevent unexpected movement,
> opto-isolation (I think) to prevent high current from the drives
> going back to the computer port. It does alot and is well worth the
> investment.
>>
>> Servo or stepper drives, one for each axis and Geckodrives are an
> excellent choice. There are others available and thats just the ones
> that I use.
>>
>> Power supply and your choice of motors will dictate what its
> output will need to be
>>
>> And lastly, Stepper or Servo motors. The debate is long on which
> is better but here is my spin on it from what I've gathered from
> these boards and my own personal experience. Steppers are rated in
> holding torque and their torque dramatically decreases during
> movement. Stepper drives are more expensive than servo drives. The
> upside to steppers is that they are generally cheaper to buy and
> they do not need an encoder to feed back to the stepper drive.
>>
>> Servos on the other hand will generally be rated at lower torque
> for the same size as a stepper but, the torque is more even holding
> and during motion (google "Servo versus Stepper" for a graph
> displaying performance comparison). A belt reduction is suggested
> used to get more RPM from the motor and higher torque to the
> ballscrew. Servos must have an encoder to feed the motors position
> [...]

Discussion Thread

wvickery2003 2004-11-01 14:25:58 UTC Completely new to all this... turbulatordude 2004-11-01 14:32:08 UTC Re: Completely new to all this... R Rogers 2004-11-01 18:32:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Completely new to all this... wvickery2003 2004-11-02 10:07:58 UTC Re: Completely new to all this... Robert Campbell 2004-11-02 10:21:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Completely new to all this... jeffalanp 2004-11-02 10:59:31 UTC Re: Completely new to all this... R Rogers 2004-11-02 17:24:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Completely new to all this... turbulatordude 2004-11-02 18:41:37 UTC Re: Completely new to all this...