CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] STG Model 2 software

imranjawaid@... wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a machinical engineering student.I subscribe to this list a month
> ago.I got my self CNC engraving a year ago with dual spindle using
> Nikki Denso AC servo Drives /w AC Servos(www.nikkidenso.co.jp).
> The GE controller was a wreck , but the Servo Drives ,Servo Motors
> and encoders are still in good working condition.
>
> I just got my STG-2 4axis card. I wanna know if EMC Linux can work
> with STG-2 and "AC" servo motors.

As far as the computer can tell, all analog-input velocity servo systems
are essentially the same.
So, the computer doesn't need to know the difference. EMC definitely
should
handle this. It supports servos with superb precision and control! The
STG-2
card is now, but at least one person has reported that it works fine. I
have the
older STG card in my system, and run EMC.

The things that matter are the velocity command signal, and the encoder
feedback.
The STG card by default uses a +/- 10 V DC signal for velocity command,
which
is a defacto standard in servo drives. So, -10 V means maximum velocity
in the
reverse direction, and +10 V means max vel. in forward. Zero volts
means zero
velocity. If your servo amps accept this signal convention, then you
are fine.
If it takes a different voltage range, you can adapt in several ways,
such as
scale down the output from the STG with resistors or adjust the
reference
voltage on the STG card.

> BTW the servo drives support +/- 10v analogue input signal.

Oh, here's you answer, right here!

So, the only other thing you need to chack is the feedback. If it uses
shaft encoders or linear encoders, you should be fine. If it has
resolvers or Inductosyns, then you will need a driver/interpolater
box, or to replace the resolvers with shaft encoders. I had to do
that on my retrofit of an ANCIENT GE servo drive into a
Bridgeport.

Jon Elson 2000-05-13 22:01:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] STG Model 2 software