CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Machine construction.

Posted by Bloy2004
on 2004-11-09 18:00:16 UTC
Nicely said, John.
..now aren't you glad you asked that, Rob?

My first thought (for a mill) was hefty castings to withstand the
forces that can make or break the accuracy factor. So I assumed you
meant a "router type" mill of a design for less force. Inherently a
moving gantry is going to be subject to inaccuracies simply due to
its structure. One way to maintain accuracy using a gantry might be
to raise the table/frame sides high and securely (since you are
talking 12" z-axis movement, and glide the basic horizontal gantry
over these so the gantry's "arms" are as short as possible. If you
nee to have accuracy on a small object you can place a solid insert
on the table raising the Z-axis up so little of its "ways" are out
there swaying.

What type of 3D did you have in mind?

Bloy

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "John Heritage"
<john.heritage@v...> wrote:
> >> What is the most inherently accurate machine configuration?
>
> 5/6-axis gantry mills are usually used for high accuracy aerospace
type
> work.
>
> Gantry mills are designed such that the absolute minimum amount of
solid
> machinery needs to move for a given operation. This means that
they can
> achieve very dynamic movements and be constructed in a very solid
way.

> From memory, industrial gantrys can now manage something like 40 -
60 metres
> per minute. There are quicker VMCs using a standard XYZ
configuration, but
> they have limited table capacity for a fixed price - because the
drives need
> to push the work piece around as well.
>
> Which way you go is quite dependant on what you're machining.
>
> A gantry is useful for big heavy parts, where the part will weigh
a lot more
> than the moving surfaces. If you're only machining small model
engines or
> something similar, a standard XYZ configuration will be better in
most
> cases, since the work table's weight will be well within the
realms of
> normality.
>
> If you want accuracy, hunting around on eBay for some linear ways
with
> recirculating carriages is a good way to go.
>
> If you want to get super duper style on it, you could pick up some
linear
> motors from eBay. These things usually cost thousands new, but
they appear
> on eBay from time to time as lab surplus type gear. If you decide
to go this
> way, you'll most likely end up with a mix and match set of three,
each from
> a different auction, as opposed to three shiny matching motors.
>
> Linear motors will be the new 'it' in machine design within the
next ten
> years. They are already gaining pace on servos. Other than cost,
at the
> moment, there is little about them that isn't better. A desktop
mill powered
> by a set of linear motors would seriously move!
>
> A linear motor is a direct drive system. There aren't any belts,
gears or
> transfer mechanisms in the way. The actuator sits in a groove
between a rare
> earth magnet guide. A voltage is applied to the carriage and it
rockets
> away.
>
> You should take a look at this guy's site -
> http://www.5bears.com/cnc.htm
>
> He is very accuracy orintated in his design for his own CNC mill.
>
> Best wishes,
> John

Discussion Thread

Robert Lyman 2004-11-09 14:11:35 UTC Machine construction. Bloy2004 2004-11-09 14:48:13 UTC Re: Machine construction. John Heritage 2004-11-09 15:41:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Machine construction. Bloy2004 2004-11-09 18:00:16 UTC Re: Machine construction. Robert Lyman 2004-11-09 18:50:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Machine construction. John Heritage 2004-11-10 03:22:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Machine construction. builder4wd 2004-11-10 20:03:54 UTC Re: Machine construction. Bloy2004 2004-11-11 04:57:11 UTC Re: Machine construction. John Heritage 2004-11-11 04:58:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Machine construction. Robert Lyman 2004-11-11 07:00:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Machine construction. Bloy2004 2004-11-11 07:47:24 UTC Re: Machine construction. John Heritage 2004-11-11 07:51:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Machine construction. David A. Frantz 2004-11-11 08:29:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Machine construction. Tyson S. 2004-11-12 18:15:42 UTC Click Automation Steppers Jon Elson 2004-11-12 20:52:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Click Automation Steppers caudlet 2004-11-13 10:24:44 UTC Re: Click Automation Steppers