CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Closed Loop PC Based CNC

Posted by John Heritage
on 2004-11-24 01:04:31 UTC
Interesting post Mariss! Let us know how you get along.

John

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mariss Freimanis" <mariss92705@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 1:35 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Closed Loop PC Based CNC

> This probably doesn't satisfy your immediate needs but I am working
> on a true closed-loop step motor/encoder system that will be able to
> use any step motor drive.
>
> The "magic" will be in the step/direction controller.
>
> Step motors in many ways make ideal CNC motors; they have high torque
> at low speeds where work is being done and little torque at high
> speeds (rapids) where little torque is demanded of the motor. The
> motor stalls when it falls behind by two ordinal steps. Just short of
> that it is delivering 100% of its available torque for that speed.
>
> A step motor's "percentage of available torque demanded" is
> sinusoidally related to the motor's "lag angle". This simply means
> the motor's position falls behind from where it should be as torque
> increases. This "lag angle" can be easily measured with a motor-
> mounted encoder.
>
> The step/direction controller would adaptively react to an impending
> overload by "backing up" the motor's speed-torque curve by decreasing
> the step pulse rate sent to the drive until a new stasis point is
> established, accomodating the new load-point.
>
> This would not be a problem in 2-D and 3-D vector motion because the
> velocity ratios of the 2 or 3 axies would be maintained; only the
> vector-sum velocity would change.
>
> The effect would be an "unstallable" step motor system. It would
> accelerate at a rate limited only by the mechanicals to speed limited
> only by the load or controller parameters. As load would change, the
> motors would slow down or speed up as needed to adapt. An increasing
> load would ultimately slow the motor down to its holding torque (zero
> speed). Past that, it would misposition but the encoder would allow
> it to recover position once the overload was relieved.
>
> This past week I cobbled together a strange combination of a G320
> (encoder inputs, summing junction and a PID loop), a G210 (a VCO and
> step motor drive) and a G2002 (a motion controller step/direction
> source). It was enough to demonstrate the feasability of this idea,
> feeble and limited as it was.
>
> I am coding up the G2002 to move the encoder inputs, summing node and
> PID loop to reside within it. This will allow it to control an
> ordinary step drive (G201) external to it when the driven motor is
> encoder mounted. The results should be interesting because of the
> goal.
>
> Mariss
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "nitewatchman5"
> <garyclick1@c...> wrote:
>>

>> I have a Bench Mill currently running with stepper motors in an open
>> loop configuration. We are running production parts in fixtures and
>> after running several parts to several dozen parts, sizes and
>> locations start to drift due to missed steps. Slowing traverse
> rates
>> down and extending longer acc/dec ramps helps but the problem is
> still
> [...]

Discussion Thread

nitewatchman5 2004-11-23 06:07:15 UTC Closed Loop PC Based CNC Les Newell 2004-11-23 06:47:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Closed Loop PC Based CNC gary 2004-11-23 07:53:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Closed Loop PC Based CNC Les Newell 2004-11-23 08:20:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Closed Loop PC Based CNC gary 2004-11-23 08:40:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Closed Loop PC Based CNC Jon Elson 2004-11-23 10:06:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Closed Loop PC Based CNC Paul 2004-11-23 10:52:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Closed Loop PC Based CNC Mariss Freimanis 2004-11-23 17:36:18 UTC Re: Closed Loop PC Based CNC caudlet 2004-11-23 17:46:07 UTC Re: Closed Loop PC Based CNC Peter Renolds 2004-11-23 20:25:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Closed Loop PC Based CNC Jon Elson 2004-11-23 20:47:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Closed Loop PC Based CNC John Heritage 2004-11-24 01:04:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Closed Loop PC Based CNC Pauls Mail 2004-11-24 07:05:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Closed Loop PC Based CNC gary 2004-11-24 08:32:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Closed Loop PC Based CNC Ron Kline 2004-11-24 09:42:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Closed Loop PC Based CNC Jon Elson 2004-11-24 10:10:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Closed Loop PC Based CNC Mariss Freimanis 2004-11-24 10:34:24 UTC Re: Closed Loop PC Based CNC