CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Flex Coupling; No Backlash.

Posted by vrsculptor
on 2005-01-26 12:32:44 UTC
2 cents: Zero backlash is only critical if you are using precision
ballscrews. If you are using a standard leadscrew you probably
already have backlash. How much more would a reasonably priced one
from Grainger add? If you have any backlash you need to turn on
backlash comp. There isn't much difference between .002 and .003.
Your circle cuts will still have to pause at each quadrent.

Spend your money where it counts.

Roger

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "lathehand_2"
<lathehand_2@y...> wrote:

> Hello Group,
> I wanted to find a way to do a coupling that could be mounted,
even
> though there is a bit of misalignment and found a way to do it.
Just
> would like to share the idea and it works perfect, without the
> expensive costs, of a coupling I seen in a local distributer Cat.
> went to Sears, and bought a flex Screw Driver, Flex Extension, 4''
in
> length, 8 bucks W/O tax, and got a piece of brass round,and turned
2
> couplings,cut the flex,in two, and Silver Soldered the pieces into
> the bored couplings,then did some turning, and boring,
and 'WALAH',
> instant flex coupling for my Lathe, For the cross slide feed.
Stepper
> Motor mounted on the rear of the carriage with a homemade bracket,
> and a real good design. I had problems with the alignment, before,
> when first tring to do this, at the beginning, and have noticed
that
> every turn of the hand crank, made a copy of the screw,THREADS, in
> the nut, that drives the slide, being TRANSFERED, to the work
piece.
> Bad Finish resulted, and steps on the part that reflected the
screws
> movement, transfered,to the piece, bad, or out of round,
alignment. I
> seen this coupling sell for 71 bucks at SPDI and MSC, I think I
> remember. Just thought I'd Pass this on, maybe an inprovement, to
all
> that could use some Help with Alignment Problems, and a good way
> eliminate backlash, at the same time. Got enough material left to
do
> an other axis. So: ENJOY..
>
> P.S. I still think making my own Cog Pulleys is best, I made 15
and
> am starting on the bushings and bores soon. Price wise, and
ratio's,
> is a cheap deal, aluminum plate an easy find, and doing the work
> satisfying. Forget Plastic!!! And Shipping Charges.

Discussion Thread

lathehand_2 2005-01-25 15:52:51 UTC Flex Coupling; No Backlash. Andy Wander 2005-01-25 17:28:18 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Flex Coupling; No Backlash. lathehand_2 2005-01-26 06:35:17 UTC Re: Flex Coupling; No Backlash. Andy Wander 2005-01-26 06:54:13 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Flex Coupling; No Backlash. lathehand_2 2005-01-26 07:15:51 UTC Re: Flex Coupling; No Backlash. Andy Wander 2005-01-26 07:23:25 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Flex Coupling; No Backlash. vrsculptor 2005-01-26 12:32:44 UTC Re: Flex Coupling; No Backlash.