CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New trend - CNC in Dentistry

on 2005-02-08 20:32:21 UTC
Hi Andrew:
The material is actually a Zirconium based ceramic that's not really
porcelain, but is tooth coloured and can be cut with diamond plated points
and wheels.
I know this technology well; I was a dentist for a good stretch before I
went back to my first love.
It's kind of neat in terms of the gadgetry that was developed for it, but it
makes pretty crappy restorations.
The fit is terrible, and the adhesive is routinely used to fill the gaps,
making for a much higher incidence of postoperative problems including
intractable sensitivity and recurrent tooth decay.
"Tis a great gimmick though, and really brings 'em in the door.
I'm not a fan, and I'd certainly never accept one in my mouth or inflict one
on a patient.
If you're interested in reading the hype, do a search for Siemens
Cerec...that's the company and the product.
They make it sound like the next wonder of the world...but then, they want
to move plenty of those $100,000.00 machines!!

The technique you refer to, is the time honoured Porcelain Fused to Metal,
or PFM crown.
When properly made, this is a very reliable restoration, and is still the
treatment of choice for full crown restorations in visible areas of the
mouth.
The metal base gives it some ductility, the casting process is FAR more
precise than CNC milling on such an irregular shape, and the tooth doesn't
need to be hacked into nearly as aggressively.
It's also impervious to cracking, even though the porcelain can become
detached, leading to a cosmetic problem but not a functional problem.
The alloy used for the base is a high noble alloy with gold, copper,
palladium, and some other stuff in it to help make the porcelain fuse to it.
The porcelain is sculpted and baked on and glazed...very demanding work to
do really well.
Dental technicians are among the most underappreciated craftspeople around!!

Cheers

Marcus