CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ??

Posted by Les Newell
on 2005-02-10 15:02:42 UTC
Hi Mike,

The big 3 legged transformer is too high a voltage for Geckos. The three
identical coils aren't transformers. They are variable inductors and
were used as part of an idle current reduction system for the motors.
That leaves you with the big 110V output transformer. If you wire it for
440V and run it on 220V it becomes a 55V transformer. After
rectification you end up with 75VDC. In the back of the computer cabinet
is a heatsink with a number of bridge rectifiers mounted on it. Any one
of these will work. You can also use a couple of the big capacitors from
the computer cabinet. Make sure you use the 200V rated ones, not the 63V
rated ones unless you enjoy explosions and really foul smelling smoke ;-).

Les

Mike Mueller wrote:

>Once I figure out if I have the Sigma or Superior motors on my old
>series 1 w/boss 3, I'd like to start wiring up the new Geckos and
>powersupply (so far I have only bought one, since that was all Dan @
>camtronics had left)...
>
>has anyone been successfull at recycling the transformers and
>capacitors from a Boss controller to use with Single Phase 220v or
>120v??
>
>In the box there appears to be 5 transformers, the biggest has 3
>windings which get feed from the original 3 legs from the 3 phase,
>then there are 3 transformers which seem for be wired alike and look
>the same. Is there a way to re-wire any of these transformers for use
>with single phase 220???
>
>thanks,
>
>Mike

Discussion Thread

Mike Mueller 2005-02-10 13:50:31 UTC Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? Les Newell 2005-02-10 15:02:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? Mike Mueller 2005-02-10 15:26:03 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? braidmeister 2005-02-10 16:19:32 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? Mike Mueller 2005-02-10 16:31:28 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? braidmeister 2005-02-10 17:04:38 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ??