CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ??

Posted by Mike Mueller
on 2005-02-10 15:26:03 UTC
I'll give it try....thanks for the advice and the warning :)

CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Les Newell <lesnewell@h...> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> The big 3 legged transformer is too high a voltage for Geckos. The
three
> identical coils aren't transformers. They are variable inductors
and
> were used as part of an idle current reduction system for the
motors.
> That leaves you with the big 110V output transformer. If you wire
it for
> 440V and run it on 220V it becomes a 55V transformer. After
> rectification you end up with 75VDC. In the back of the computer
cabinet
> is a heatsink with a number of bridge rectifiers mounted on it. Any
one
> of these will work. You can also use a couple of the big capacitors
from
> the computer cabinet. Make sure you use the 200V rated ones, not
the 63V
> rated ones unless you enjoy explosions and really foul smelling
smoke ;-).

> Les
>
> Mike Mueller wrote:
>
> >Once I figure out if I have the Sigma or Superior motors on my old
> >series 1 w/boss 3, I'd like to start wiring up the new Geckos and
> >powersupply (so far I have only bought one, since that was all Dan
@
> >camtronics had left)...
> >
> >has anyone been successfull at recycling the transformers and
> >capacitors from a Boss controller to use with Single Phase 220v or
> >120v??
> >
> >In the box there appears to be 5 transformers, the biggest has 3
> >windings which get feed from the original 3 legs from the 3 phase,
> >then there are 3 transformers which seem for be wired alike and
look
> >the same. Is there a way to re-wire any of these transformers for
use
> >with single phase 220???
> >
> >thanks,
> >
> >Mike

Discussion Thread

Mike Mueller 2005-02-10 13:50:31 UTC Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? Les Newell 2005-02-10 15:02:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? Mike Mueller 2005-02-10 15:26:03 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? braidmeister 2005-02-10 16:19:32 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? Mike Mueller 2005-02-10 16:31:28 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? braidmeister 2005-02-10 17:04:38 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ??