CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ??

Posted by braidmeister
on 2005-02-10 16:19:32 UTC
Mike,
Pop the motor cover off of one of the steppers and compare the wiring
terminals to this diagram: http://www.cardinaleng.com/CEI4396.pdf

-Brady

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mueller"
<mueller914@y...> wrote:

> I'll give it try....thanks for the advice and the warning :)
>

> CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Les Newell <lesnewell@h...> wrote:
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > The big 3 legged transformer is too high a voltage for Geckos.
The
> three
> > identical coils aren't transformers. They are variable inductors
> and
> > were used as part of an idle current reduction system for the
> motors.
> > That leaves you with the big 110V output transformer. If you wire
> it for
> > 440V and run it on 220V it becomes a 55V transformer. After
> > rectification you end up with 75VDC. In the back of the computer
> cabinet
> > is a heatsink with a number of bridge rectifiers mounted on it.
Any
> one
> > of these will work. You can also use a couple of the big
capacitors
> from
> > the computer cabinet. Make sure you use the 200V rated ones, not
> the 63V
> > rated ones unless you enjoy explosions and really foul smelling
> smoke ;-).
> >
> > Les
> >
> > Mike Mueller wrote:
> >
> > >Once I figure out if I have the Sigma or Superior motors on my
old
> > >series 1 w/boss 3, I'd like to start wiring up the new Geckos
and
> > >powersupply (so far I have only bought one, since that was all
Dan
> @
> > >camtronics had left)...
> > >
> > >has anyone been successfull at recycling the transformers and
> > >capacitors from a Boss controller to use with Single Phase 220v
or
> > >120v??
> > >
> > >In the box there appears to be 5 transformers, the biggest has 3
> > >windings which get feed from the original 3 legs from the 3
phase,
> > >then there are 3 transformers which seem for be wired alike and
> look
> > >the same. Is there a way to re-wire any of these transformers
for
> use
> > >with single phase 220???
> > >
> > >thanks,
> > >
> > >Mike

Discussion Thread

Mike Mueller 2005-02-10 13:50:31 UTC Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? Les Newell 2005-02-10 15:02:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? Mike Mueller 2005-02-10 15:26:03 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? braidmeister 2005-02-10 16:19:32 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? Mike Mueller 2005-02-10 16:31:28 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ?? braidmeister 2005-02-10 17:04:38 UTC Re: Salvaging trans/caps..etc, from Boss 3 for pwr-supplies or ??