CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details

Posted by braidmeister
on 2005-02-10 18:21:31 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Les Newell <lesnewell@h...>
wrote:

"You will need a contactor for the spindle motor - the relay board
cannot
handle the current. If you use a 110V coil in the contactor then you
can
use the same relay to control both the contactor and oiler."

I'm confused...at the moment, I turn on the spindle using the 3-way
switch on the front of the mill. {Low ~ OFF ~ High}

I was going to keep the spindle/lube pump totally seperate from the
CNC contols. Why would I need to wire them into the CNC system? The
only thing that I can think of is combining the E-stop with the
spindle and servos to stop everything at once. I currently have
seperate e-stops for my CNC router (one for motion system, one on the
VFD) I am comfortable using it this way.

Any other reason to incorporate the spindle into the CNC control mix??

-Brady

> Hi Brady,
>
> >1. Aside from the spindle motor power supply, what else do I need
> >retain in regards to the spindle for the conversion? Are there
> >electronics that handle the lubrication of the spindle? I am not
> >interested in changing the spindle motor or mechanical speed
control.
> >It works fine.
> >
> The spindle bearings are sealed for life and don't need
lubrication. All
> other lubrication is taken care of by the auto oiler. All you need
is a
> contactor to turn the motor on and off. The varispeed works fine
unless
> you are doing heavy production work where you need to keep changing
the
> speed.
>
> >2. Limit switches...I will be running Mach2. Do I need to swap out
> >the limit switches, add switches or rewire them at all?
> >

> The limit switches are good quality and there is no need to replace
> them. All you need to do is wire them into your emergency stop
circuit.

> >3. Bijur way luber...I haven't really run the machine enough to
test
> >out the lube pump to see if it is working or not...According to
the
> >manual, I should be able to pull up on the plunger to prime
it...well
> >it doesn't pull up. It unscrews and that's about it.
Anyway...getting
> >back to the electrical aspects of the pump. What do I need to
keep? ~
> >What gets canned?
> >

> All you need to do is feed the pump with 110V and it will do the
rest. I
> wired mine into the spindle control circuit so that when the
spindle is
> on the pump is running. The pump plunger is pushed up by a cam. It
then
> drops down under spring pressure, supplying oil to the machine. The
cam
> rotates quite slowly so you won't see the plunger move. To check it
is
> working, appy power and measure the height of the plunger. Wait a
minute
> or so then measure again. If it has moved it is working.
>
> The plunger is quite hard to pull up by hand. You need to apply a
steady
> pressure and it slowly comes up. It could also be that it is being
held
> at the top of it's stroke by the cam. In that case you need to
apply
> power to make the cam rotate and let the plunger drop.
>
> >4. Motor power cables....I was thinking of the Belden line of
> >shielded cable from Jameco. Good/bad/cheaper somewhere else?
> >

> I reused the stepper cables for the servo power. The encoders have
> separate screened cable. Any good quality braided screen cable
should
> do. Avoid foil screened cable as the foil can break down after a
while
> if it is flexed too much.
>
> >Here's a list of the components so far:
> >
> >1.5HP PMDC motors (will post specs later when it's running)
> >Rutex R990H servo drives
> >Rutex 990MB motherboard
> >Rutex 990IO relay card
> >USDigital E3 1000CPR encoders + cables etc
> >Mach2/3 PC controller
> >BOSS 75v PS (modified or new one from scratch)
> >
> >Am I missing anything? Suggestions?
> >

> You will need a contactor for the spindle motor - the relay board
cannot
> handle the current. If you use a 110V coil in the contactor then
you can
> use the same relay to control both the contactor and oiler.
>
> At least one proper mushroom emergency stop switch. It should be
the
> type that latches down rather than the original BOSS one that
springs back.

> Les

Discussion Thread

braidmeister 2005-02-10 14:30:31 UTC BOSS Retrofit...Little details Les Newell 2005-02-10 14:53:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BOSS Retrofit...Little details cnc_4_me 2005-02-10 15:54:06 UTC Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details Luke1027 2005-02-10 16:25:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BOSS Retrofit...Little details R Rogers 2005-02-10 17:09:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details cnc_4_me 2005-02-10 17:33:03 UTC Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details R Rogers 2005-02-10 18:11:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details braidmeister 2005-02-10 18:21:31 UTC Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details Andy Wander 2005-02-10 18:23:50 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details braidmeister 2005-02-10 18:29:41 UTC Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details Denis Casserly 2005-02-11 17:16:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details braidmeister 2005-02-11 17:57:02 UTC Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details cnc_4_me 2005-02-11 18:43:13 UTC Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details Denis Casserly 2005-02-12 07:56:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details R Rogers 2005-02-12 12:11:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details cnc_4_me 2005-02-12 15:30:16 UTC Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details R Rogers 2005-02-13 05:53:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: BOSS Retrofit...Little details