CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]Bob Cad

Posted by ebower
on 2000-05-29 04:28:42 UTC
Terry,

You can configure Bobcad to output the "G" code for specific machines as
well as a generic "G" code. The package I have has 8 configurations that
can be set. You pick which one to use when you go into the NC mode and
there is an edit/simulation that can be run that gives you a graphic
representation.

You can have it output step and direction instead of "G" code but since I
use "G" code for all my programs, I have not tried it yet.

To my knowledge, Bobcad has not added a machine control program yet. I had
inquired about it but the serial comm. program they supplied did not work as
a controller only a download port to get it to the machine controller. It
did not work with PC type controllers.

As for the retrofit, I am using steppers and controllers. Steppers vs
Servos is something that is still up in the air, even on the web. If you
talk to some they swear by steppers others swear by servos. You might want
to check out Dan Mauch's page. He has some info on both steppers and
servos, I think.

There are several other web sites also that have info. AH-HA is another
with info on retrofitting.

I use steppers as these are fairly cheap to buy and I do not want several
different types of controlling on my machines. (I design and build machines
to suit the jobs I have at the time. As soon as I get the lathe done I am
going to design a table top machine to do only drilling).

Earl
ebower@...

BTW - I have not heard or seen EMC.