CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers

on 2005-02-27 18:03:55 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Luke1027 <luke1027@p...>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone please tell me if
> this control broad will work for controlling
> (3) Bipolar Stepper motors? I do not know
> how to read schematics yet and cannot I tell by the specs
> on this broad if it will work to control three motors
> or just one. I am sure many are thinking, then why are
> you looking at controllers/motors? My answer would be, to
> learn how they work. I have been reading and reading, but without
the
> hands on
> experience it seems moot. So I want to buy a controller
> and motors to started working with, but I do not want
> to spend much at this time as it is not time for
> practical building yet. I figured building a small
> table top router (24" x 24" x 4") would give me a practical
> project to take me into an application that would apply
> the controller and motors I purchase. My final
> goal is to convert over my Boss5 to servos. But I don't
> really think it would be wise to spend the money needed to do so
until
> I have some basic knowledge on the electronics beyond
> what it takes to do such a project.
>
> In any case, these are the specs of this inexpensive controller
board
> I would like to purchase, that is if it will serve the first baby
steps
> needed
> to train me:
>

> Multi Stepper Motor Driver and Control Board
> (One) STK6822H Bipolar Driver,
> Data Sheet 52V 2.5A per phase max.
> (One) STK6982H 4° Unipolar Stepper Driver
> 52V 2.5A per phase max.,
> 2 SLA 4031 (D) Dual Darlington Sink Driver with
> flywheel diodes.
> 4A @120V max each section.
> HFE 2000 min 5000 typical.
> Board is 4½" X 13"
> Aluminum chassis/heatsink 12"L x 4½"W x 2½"H.
> Board also has (2x) 12MHz crystals, power transistors,
> logic and 28 dip switches for configuration/fine tuning.
>
> Here is the PDF file of the Schematic, does this
> schematic have all I need to get this borad working ...
> that is if a guy know how to read it?:
> www.pennswoods.net/~luke1027/Control_Schematic.pdf
>
> And Here is a picture of the board itself:
> http://www.pennswoods.net/~luke1027/Control.jpg
>
> Thanks for any advice on this controller,
>
> Luke

I'd have to see more of hte board. it looks like the large black
part in the upper left is the driver chip STK682x you mention. That
is one motor per driver.

I assume the board is from a printer where there is one larger motor
and 2 smaller motors.

When you look at the board, there are bunches of connectors. these
would be from switches used for things like paper out and such. Of
course there would also be setpper otuputs as well as a parallel
input connection.

If you are comfortable traceing back control lines this would be a
possibility.

I would considder getting an old printer and that way, you have all
the switches and know all the connectins.

One possibly aggravating problem is odd connectors. I just checked
an Epson driver board from an old printer. it has multiple
connectors and some odd ones that would need to be replaced. Also,
it has a 12 connector ribbon cable from the power supply board. I
don't think you'll get that, but may want one.

Another thing that may be insurmountable is communication. the
printer would accept a data stream, the convert that into movement.

Since we do (and you will eventually want to) use step and direction,
considder alternatives unless there is some writeup on how to make
the thing work.

My nay-saying to a sight unseen project.

Dave

Discussion Thread

vinnygenovese 2005-02-27 14:31:50 UTC driving large DC motor questions Lance Hopper 2005-02-27 15:05:07 UTC Re: driving large DC motor questions Luke1027 2005-02-27 15:45:58 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers Dan Mauch 2005-02-27 17:45:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] driving large DC motor questions turbulatordude 2005-02-27 18:03:55 UTC Re: Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers Luke1027 2005-02-27 18:36:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers turbulatordude 2005-02-27 18:43:29 UTC Re: Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers Roy J. Tellason 2005-02-27 19:51:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers Luke1027 2005-02-28 01:29:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers