CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers

on 2005-02-27 18:43:29 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Luke1027 <luke1027@p...>
wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> It would look like I better go with a much easier controller
> board the first time around as I doubt I would be able to
> trace back control lines.
> I will just keep looking.
>
> Luke

The question of do you wanna buy or build always comes up.

Also, considder that your mill will use either a Gecko or Rutex so at
some point you will be paying the $$

Considder laying out what you will need for the mill, then use that
as a frame of reference for your practice.

Also, considder that when you pull out the old electronics, if you
can dissassemble them intack, and they are in good working order,
they can pay chunk of your CNC upgrade on e-bay.

Dave

> turbulatordude wrote:
>

> >I'd have to see more of hte board. it looks like the large black
> >part in the upper left is the driver chip STK682x you mention.
That
> >is one motor per driver.
> >
> >I assume the board is from a printer where there is one larger
motor
> >and 2 smaller motors.
> >

> >When you look at the board, there are bunches of connectors.
these
> >would be from switches used for things like paper out and such.
Of
> >course there would also be setpper otuputs as well as a parallel
> >input connection.
> >
> >If you are comfortable traceing back control lines this would be a
> >possibility.
> >
> >I would considder getting an old printer and that way, you have
all
> >the switches and know all the connectins.
> >
> >One possibly aggravating problem is odd connectors. I just
checked
> >an Epson driver board from an old printer. it has multiple
> >connectors and some odd ones that would need to be replaced.
Also,
> >it has a 12 connector ribbon cable from the power supply board. I
> >don't think you'll get that, but may want one.
> >
> >Another thing that may be insurmountable is communication. the
> >printer would accept a data stream, the convert that into movement.
> >
> >Since we do (and you will eventually want to) use step and
direction,
> >considder alternatives unless there is some writeup on how to make
> >the thing work.
> >
> >My nay-saying to a sight unseen project.
> >
> >Dave

Discussion Thread

vinnygenovese 2005-02-27 14:31:50 UTC driving large DC motor questions Lance Hopper 2005-02-27 15:05:07 UTC Re: driving large DC motor questions Luke1027 2005-02-27 15:45:58 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers Dan Mauch 2005-02-27 17:45:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] driving large DC motor questions turbulatordude 2005-02-27 18:03:55 UTC Re: Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers Luke1027 2005-02-27 18:36:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers turbulatordude 2005-02-27 18:43:29 UTC Re: Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers Roy J. Tellason 2005-02-27 19:51:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers Luke1027 2005-02-28 01:29:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help with Control Board - Bipolar Steppers