CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Accuracy of CNC Mill

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2005-02-28 15:12:24 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Polaraligned"
<polaraligned@o...> wrote:

> Can a CNC Bridgeport replace some basic lathe functions such as
> cutting a bearing pocket for press fitting the bearing? Or are
they
> not accurate enough. My encoders will be high resolution
(1000/4000).
> What kind of overall accuracy can I expect?

Circular interpolation is seldom good enough for commercial bearing
fits. It may be good enough for home use. The surface finish should
be as good as the end mill sharpening. The gotcha is the mechanical
backlash. A boring bar will not have much more runout than the
spindle bearings. On an old bridgeport with ball screws, the
spindle bearings may runout more than the backlash effects from the
circ interp, but my gut tells me I'd rather finish bore the hole
with a CNC boring cycle than try to end mill it. It's tough to
remove taper from a deep hole with an end mill, the bored hole will
be much more cylindrical.

For home use, as long as you can precisely adjust the size of the
hole, you can probably make an acceptable counter bore for the
bearings, even if it is not as round as the bearing race design
parameter.

Fred Smith - IMService

Discussion Thread

Polaraligned 2005-02-28 14:57:17 UTC Accuracy of CNC Mill Fred Smith 2005-02-28 15:12:24 UTC Re: Accuracy of CNC Mill R Rogers 2005-02-28 15:34:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Accuracy of CNC Mill Steve Stallings 2005-02-28 18:40:15 UTC Re: Accuracy of CNC Mill turbulatordude 2005-02-28 19:28:04 UTC Re: Accuracy of CNC Mill Les Newell 2005-03-01 00:59:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Accuracy of CNC Mill turbulatordude 2005-03-01 06:37:32 UTC Re: Accuracy of CNC Mill - boring head