CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Lathe Threading with DeskCNC

on 2005-04-03 12:44:23 UTC
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Smith" <imserv@v...>
>wrote:

> > >--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Smith"
> > > The DeskCNC lathe threading is now released.
> > > For pictures and info, please follow this link:
> > >
> > > http://www.imsrv.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?1004/101600
> > >
> > > Fred Smith - IMService
> > > http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby
> >
> > Fred, Thank you for this link but althouh I understand the setup
> your
> > description of the process isn't easy to follow. I have searched
> for
> > some more info but can't find anything.
> >
> > From the link you state:-
> >
> > Format for threading:
> >
> > N99999 G33 X9.9999 Z9.9999 P99.9
>
> If you need product support, I suggest you ask on the DeskCNC user
> forum. Our customers that have setup DeskCNC should be very >familiar
> with the settings as described.

As you took the time and trouble to post on this board I though I
would follow it up here as people who are not customers and users will
have a better idea.
Added to this I can't sign onto your site.
The settings question I asked was where a certain command was on the
setup. Possibly other customers may be having the same problem as it's
only just been released so no one can be that familar with it.
Just a simple where is it query ?

> Or is your question really how I generated the CNC threading >program?
>
> That was done with a new program called FG4L, which we will be
> releasing with our Sherline Lathe Threading kit, probably within the
> next week.
>
> > You say X is a diametrical value used for taper threading but
> surely X
> > is the diameter of the work.
> > In the line N100 Z-.75 P32.0 I'm confused as there is no X value
> for
> > diameter or G33 for the threading cycle.
>
> It's not required since it's not a tapered thread. The G33, works
> just like a G01.

Even so the machine has to know where to start from in the X axis
otherwise how can you tell the machine you want a 1" thread ?

> > Just as there is no X value I can't see what controls the depth of
> the
> > thread unless it's a generic value based on 32 pitch ?
> >
> > You say "Multiple passes were programmed with a 30 degree infeed
> > angle" but don't show this. As the info on lathe threading is
> scarce
> > could you show a full piece of code from setup to end please.
>
> Not a this time.

Sorry ?
Not asking to divulge any secrets but a short program showning the few
lines of code will help people to understand the layout needed to cut
a thread.
The text in your post on the web page is confusing you mention

Nxxxx G33 X xxxx Z xxx P xxxx
but in the example you only mention.
N xxxx Z xxxx P xxxx

> > "The final cut removed .012 from the diameter" Is this a default
> > setting ? as on a 32 pitch 12 thou is an excessive cut for a
> thread
> > that is only 20 thou deep. Final cut[s] on a thread this size
> should
> > be just a couple of thou at the most. Doing this in steel will just
> > rip the thread up.
>
> This was the diametral adjustment(.012) for the multiple cut
> threading pass. The pictured thread was cut and re-cut, 4 seperate
> times, each time with an X axis adjustment. The threading, NC
> program was run 4 times. The start was correctly picked up each
> time and resulted in a satisfactory thread.

OK got that now, 6 thou radial infeed, 24 thou total. 32 pitch should
be 0.0203" but we are taking this as a test thread ?
Do you have any control over the depth per pass or is this done by
your program?
If it does generate the thread information automatically can it handle
different thread pitches like 55 degrees and metric which although it
is 60 degrees is a different depth.

I have looked on your support page and other that the information in
the link you published here that's all there is.
Is it asking too much for you to explain it a little further. Sorry if
this sounds a little strong, it isn't meant that way but you basically
have said DeskCNC can do threading and left it at that.
Thanks for the prompt reply though.

John S.

Discussion Thread

Fred Smith 2005-04-02 14:56:44 UTC Lathe Threading with DeskCNC John Stevenson 2005-04-03 09:44:02 UTC Re: Lathe Threading with DeskCNC Fred Smith 2005-04-03 12:06:41 UTC Re: Lathe Threading with DeskCNC John Stevenson 2005-04-03 12:44:23 UTC Re: Lathe Threading with DeskCNC Fred Smith 2005-04-03 13:02:03 UTC Re: Lathe Threading with DeskCNC John Stevenson 2005-04-03 13:44:36 UTC Re: Lathe Threading with DeskCNC