CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: EMC Newbie

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2000-06-09 10:11:46 UTC
> Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 03:46:06 -0000
> From: Ozzie@...
>Subject: Re: EMC Newbie

Since I read digests, I'm way behind on this so forgive if I repeat someone
else.

---------------
HOME DEFINITION

The function is the same, It's just that emc is seeing a pin definition
from the ini file that says hey that home switch is closed. When you get a
real switch wired to that pin then you need to switch the definition in the
ini and after you play with home direction a bit it will find the switch
and say, "hey I'm home."

If you really have a switch connected then you can not set home at an
arbitrary location because the machine will move home.

-------------------------
OTHER BUTTONS FOR THE GUI

Like Tim said, A better way might be to write a script and get the script
revised tkemc from the dropbox. Then you can pop it up any time you want
it. I'll have more on this once I get out of my 2.2.13-4 self destruct mode.

-------------
FEED OVERRIDE

>I'm not sure I understand when the "Feed override" setting takes
>effect. Can you explain.

Feed override takes effect anytime!! It works for any motion commanded by
the EMC. This is the greatest thing since sliced bread and in my latest gui
efforts I've raised it so that it is always on top. Start into a cut a low
rate and when you're satisfied that the program is right, let it rip.

This has been around on commercial machines for a long time.

---------------------------
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE COMMANDS

>If I set the jog button increment to .100 and hit the + button five
>times quickly, I would expect that the machine would advance, at the
>axis speed, a half inch, but instead the indicator shows some
>intermediate number. Can you explain what is going on.

Tkemc updates and sends those commands on a more or less regular basis but
they are not buffered so you can not expect them to be piled up and
executed in the order and with the frequency that you entered them. EMC
will do this but the restriction is in the gui, the keyboard, and mouse,
and how those signals get processed as they move from one level to the next.

-----------------------------
THE LINE OF G-CODE THAT SHOWS

That line is modal but it is the product of the look ahead feature of the
interpreter. It shows the last set of values as far as it has read. It
DOES NOT show the values in force for the currently executing line.

>> > I'd like to understand every entry in the .ini
>> > files,

So would I and I've been around it for more than a year.

>> I have used this file, which is not as much info as I'd like, but
>> it covers the most important stuff :
>> http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/projects/emc/emcsoft.html
<snip>
>> > Surely there is a document, that I can beg, borrow, steal, buy, or
>> > best of all, download that gives the basic operating instructions
>for
>> > EMC.
>>
>> No, there is no complete, all encompassing document. This is not
>> commercial
>> software, but a work in progress.

Jon is real right here.

There is some stuff being collected for the handbook and that is growing by
fits and starts. Dan Falck and I have been talking about putting that set
of stuff into a location that allows concurrent versioning and let everyone
have it it with their expertise.

Ray

Discussion Thread

John Ross 1999-07-13 12:15:48 UTC EMC Newbie Tim Goldstein 1999-07-13 14:37:01 UTC Re: EMC Newbie Ozzie@h... 2000-06-08 12:34:58 UTC EMC Newbie Ozzie@h... 2000-06-09 10:09:46 UTC Re: EMC Newbie Ray Henry 2000-06-09 10:11:46 UTC Re: Re: EMC Newbie Ray Henry 2000-06-10 07:48:14 UTC Re: Re: Re: Re: EMC Newbie