CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Is this doable on a CNC mill?

on 2005-04-22 23:01:23 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@y...>
wrote:
> I dont know of a machine configuration that would make those in one
piece due to their small size. They would need to be made in two
pieces. The outer rim and the inner hub (lathework) with the fins
machined on a 4th axis rotary device. Then assemble. This same
technique could be applied to a special hub or turbine fan used in a
homebuilt machine.

> Ron

I did't see the back very well, but for one piece, an EDM could get
it.

for multiple, I think casting could be the best choice with minimal
finish machining.

The iddy-biddy holes are the problem as I see it.

one can use a typical 3 axis mill with a compound rotary table to add
a 4th and 5th axis and conceivable use some special tooling to
machine the parts.

Considder a simple rotary unit with a simple hinged mount for angling
it.

Looking at the origional, the fins are angled or slanted and not
straight. for a tiny version the holes would be very hard to make
by conventional machining.

I think casting would be far and away the eaziest, with EDM probably
the eaziest to machine with.

As for final costs, I think casting would much much cheaper for
production or hundreds. probably a toss up for 4 or 5 wheels

But, I am sure there are watchmakers who think these are big parts.

Dave

> Monte <montejw@e...> wrote:
>

> Wouldn't a rotary table or indexing table setting horizontal at the
> angle of the fins work? Then just pocket out the 'holes'.
>
> Monte

timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j... [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
it if you have trouble.

a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Adrian Kole 2005-04-22 09:32:14 UTC Is this doable on a CNC mill? Monte 2005-04-22 17:03:44 UTC Re: Is this doable on a CNC mill? R Rogers 2005-04-22 17:57:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Is this doable on a CNC mill? turbulatordude 2005-04-22 23:01:23 UTC Re: Is this doable on a CNC mill? R Rogers 2005-04-23 07:42:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Is this doable on a CNC mill? Adrian Kole 2005-04-23 09:53:40 UTC Re: Is this doable on a CNC mill? ballendo 2005-04-24 06:45:35 UTC Re: Is this doable on a CNC mill? R Rogers 2005-04-24 07:41:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Is this doable on a CNC mill?