CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Twin motor axis

on 2005-05-13 19:05:57 UTC
Simon,

I answered you on the Gecko group and told you that using two motor and two
drivers was an acceptable way to go. If you are going to use stepper motors,
and one side binds for any reason and stalls, chances the other side will
also stall. It should not cause your machine to tear itself apart.

Many CNC routers that I am seeing now particularly the ones that are using
rack and pinion are driving the X axis with two stepper motors. You can do
the same thing like Practical CNC does with their plasma machine and use one
stepper motor and run a rod from one side to the other. Their system also
uses a short belt at each end.

Bob Campbell
Bob@...
www.campbelldesigns.com
Breakout board
THC board sets
CNC router plans
Stepper Motors
VisualMill Basic
----- Original Message -----
From: "IDA" <idaconcepts@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 11:12 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Twin motor axis

> Over on the Geckodrive group, a chap who seems to know what he is talking
> about said it is a seriously bad idea to use two motors on a single axis
> of a router or plasma table because of the risk of serious damage to the
> machine if one motor fails when the other continues. I am planning a
> large 2.5m x 3.5m router using 2 motors on the x axis, and that post
> reawakened worries. The idea seems fairly common, so what safeguards can
> be put in place to alleviate this risk?
>
> Simon

> timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
> if you have trouble.

> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
> OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

IDA 2005-05-13 09:13:02 UTC Twin motor axis Codesuidae 2005-05-13 09:32:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Twin motor axis Jon Elson 2005-05-13 09:54:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Twin motor axis R Rogers 2005-05-13 13:39:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Twin motor axis JanRwl@A... 2005-05-13 15:13:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Twin motor axis Robert Campbell 2005-05-13 19:05:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Twin motor axis cnc_4_me 2005-05-14 00:31:56 UTC Re: Twin motor axis