CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Embroidery?

Posted by ballendo
on 2005-05-15 06:58:26 UTC
Hello,

There is a yahoo group for the commercially offered PC quilt setup
which is likely pretty close to what will work using a regular short-
arm sewing machine.

There is also at least two websites which were
outliningthe "development" of a sewing machine modified for CNC
control.

Try a yahoo search on "computerised sewing"

To do a true "embroidery" CNC you need to know something about the
sewing machine(s), and it won't be a no-brainer retrofit IMO. You
need to control stitch length on the fly (to get the "satin stitch"
effect of commercial embroidered items)

FWIW, you can do some interesting things by simply making an arm
which bolts to your sherline tee slots and holds an embroidery "hoop"
frame underv the needle of a "typical" home sewing machine. IMO,
Start there and you'll start to see the "devlish" details...

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Kole"
<AdrianKole@H...> wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Should you find that trying to get the Sherline to embroider is not
> cost effective, you might take a gander at Singer's relatively
> inexpensive sewing machine/embroiderers. See
> http://www.singerco.com/products/product_detail.html?
product_id=937 .

> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "montanaaardvark"
> <boblombardi@c...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, All,
> >

> > I'm a lurker, and rare poster on this group.
> >
> > A few years ago, I saw CNC sewing machines for embroidery. That
> was
> > years before I CNC'ed my Sherline and knew nothing about CNC.
Now
> > got interested in making one to embroider shirts for a club I'm
> in.
> > I have a couple of light duty (120 in-oz) motors and a stepper
> > controller just sitting around and I'm considering making one.
> >
> > Can anybody point me to info on CNC'ing a sewing machine for
> > embroidery? I would think a 2 dimensional table approach would
be
> > okay, since the head goes up and down so little. I'm thinking
> > steppers driving chain cogs and chains - something I can take
from
> > my spare bike parts. I'm sure there's lots of embroidery stuff I
> > don't know (like, say, just about all of it) and I would hate to
> do
> > something so non-standard that nothing worked with it. I don't
> even
> > have a sewing machine around the house to play with.
> >
> > I searched around the last 10,000 posts on this group and didn't
> see
> > anything.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Bob
> > Montana_Aardvark

Discussion Thread

montanaaardvark 2005-05-14 16:54:25 UTC CNC Embroidery? Adrian Kole 2005-05-14 21:08:11 UTC Re: CNC Embroidery? cnc_4_me 2005-05-14 22:37:41 UTC Re: CNC Embroidery? ballendo 2005-05-15 06:58:26 UTC Re: CNC Embroidery? ballendo 2005-05-15 06:58:44 UTC Re: CNC Embroidery? montanaaardvark 2005-05-15 10:10:10 UTC Re: CNC Embroidery? caudlet 2005-05-15 16:53:31 UTC Re: CNC Embroidery?