CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: fitting ballscrew ends

on 2005-06-10 22:21:13 UTC
Hi Les:
I like this idea much better; it's certainly much easier to do for the
price point you're talking about.
Probably better concentricity too.
The hardest part will be getting the balls to stay where they're supposed to
as you slip the stub shaft over the end of the screw.
A spring or spiral wire slipped over the screw groove will certainly be
easier for the hobbyist to install.
Cross pinning the hardened screw will still be difficult for a guy with
limited equipment to do, unless he softens the end of the screw first.
He's also going to hit the wire with the drill, so the drill is going to
wander a bit.
I bet you'll get enough time consuming phone calls from frustrated hobbyists
to strip any profit out of the job in a real hurry.
That Cincinnati that Fred Smith is talking about, is starting to sound
pretty good.
Fifty bucks an end gives you almost an hour an end to work with...but the
customers will have to send their ballscrews to you.
I think that's a good thing...you have far better control over the outcome,
so you'll have far fewer complaints and queries...both money losers.
It's not a bad sideline if you are already in the build-it-yourself CNC
business, and can afford to have a machine standing mostly idle while you
scare up customers.
I certainly don't have the space for a machine like that in my shop, and I'm
up in Canada, so the cross border hassles and attendant costs would kill
this for most of my potential customers.
Cheers

Marcus