CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: fitting ballscrew ends

Posted by Leslie Watts
on 2005-06-10 09:01:34 UTC
Marcus,

For sure the price would have to be low. $50 or less.
Tough.

As far as concentricity understand the internal threads
would snug up on the flank of the groove...it is self
centering even with some diameter variation.

Having to have many types for different screws is a killer though.

I have though of a dedicated rig to rapidly do ends as well.
I fear that my price would still be more than a hobbyist could afford.

I think this is a common problem...Hobbyist buys a set of surplus
or used ballscrews on ebay or something then realizes that he has
6 ends to machine. He probably does not have a spindle bore big enough
and may not be able to deal with issues like the fact that the
lands are usually not good datums for work holding either in
concentricity or yaw...even a 4 jaw is no guarantee. And it's
bearing work... .005 mm tolerances might not be a problem for us,
but could be for the hobbyist. Screw up on the last end and you
have junk.

Wish there was a way to help these folks.

Might not be a product...just a method. I agree that a press fit
plug is actually MORE work than just machining the screw. It still leaves
out those folks that do not have a big spindle bore unless the screw is
short.

I am considering a similar slip on end as before, but with no internal
threads.
With a gothic arch screw have some balls loosly affixed in the grooves-
perhaps held on with a dab of rubber cement on the side. With two measure
the
overall diameter including the balls.

Machine the end cap bore to a line to line fit with that diameter. Put
6 balls on the screw (two groups of 3 at 120 degrees) and slip it on.
squirt in filled epoxy and perhaps pin it.

If you screw up the ballscrew is not damaged.
The cap is a short soft piece that does not require a large spindle bore.
It can be easily made (including bearing locknut threads) without fancy
stuff.

The usual spiral wire wrap is also an option...but balls are more precise.

???

Les

Leslie M.Watts
L M Watts Furniture