CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary set-up question???? More info....

Posted by KM6VV
on 2005-07-02 10:18:07 UTC
Hi Russ,

Yes, a mill program might suit you better. I like Vector CAD/CAM. Tried
BobCad, took for ever to get an idea how it worked. Vector was much nicer,
follows "cut and paste" concepts of Windoz.

No reason why not, Dave M. and I are thinking of doing some spindle control, and
this what you're talking about. I use the rotary table on the mill, and I've
cut fish bellies, flutes, etc. There you just USE the spindle, and the rotary
table is bolted to the ways.

On the lathe, it seems all turned around for doing what you want. Seems like
you need to bolt the spindle to the X axis (cross slide) and mount a CNC rotary
table where the spindle was. THAT would give you what I think you want. I
wonder how hard it would be to make these mounting plates? Probably need to use
riser blocks, or the equivalent.

We want the servo'd spindle for threading. I just got a G320 on loan. we're
thinking a PIC can be used to generate a constant rate on command for normal
turning, or pass through step/dir pulses for threading, or tasks like yours.

The 17" long bed of the long Sherline lathe would be a plus!

Alan KM6VV

Russ Waters wrote:

> You sound like the person I need to talk to about this... also you have some
good questions.

> Yes this is for my Sherline lathe..... long story short, is that I have been
using MicroKinetics software for the lathe, and it does work well.... but I
what to take it one step farther, have some ideas about using a step motor to
control the spindle, add a vertical table on the cross-slide, that has a router
mounted on it.......... Now I also have Mk's milling program, it has rotary
commands (A, V).... so now maybe I'm thinking it would be possible to use the
milling program to run the lathe for doing fancy spiral, fluted and even the
combination of all for some unique turnings (wood)........ What do you think.....
am I on the right track? Oh, I do have Bobcad 18, which does support rotary axis,
but not sure how in depth it goes....

> Russ
>
> Alan Marconett <KM6VV@...> wrote:
> HI Russ,
>
> Is this for your Sherline CNC system?
>
> In general, the rotary table gets connected up as the 4th axis on your
> driver/PS box.
>
> CAD/CAM programs seem to be released in various levels, and may only
> generate Gcode for the rotary axis at their "BASE" level. Often the rotary
> table support is an option.
>
> Sometimes you can draw in XY, and then "translate" to say, the 'A' axis to
> "wrap" a cut around the table.
>
> I often to many repetitive cuts using loops, and just write the code by
> hand, using A, X, Y and Z axes as necessary.
>
> What's your application?
>
> Alan KM6VV

Discussion Thread

Russ Waters 2005-07-01 18:30:43 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary set-up question???? More info.... KM6VV 2005-07-02 10:18:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary set-up question???? More info.... turbulatordude 2005-07-02 14:29:07 UTC Re: Rotary set-up question???? More info.... Russ Waters 2005-07-02 16:43:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary set-up question???? More info...more and more!. Russ Waters 2005-07-02 16:47:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary set-up question???? More info...more and more!. turbulatordude 2005-07-02 19:10:59 UTC Re: Rotary set-up question???? More info...more and more!.