CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Rotary set-up question???? More info...more and more!.

Posted by Russ Waters
on 2005-07-02 16:47:23 UTC
Hi... yes I could also do it on my cnc milling machine... but I thought about using a geared down stepper to control the spindel on the lathe... actually I have done this before, (have pictures if anyone would like to see).... I hooked up a stepper to the spindle and use the speed command on the Microkinetics lathe program to position the spindle on different degree moves. I have a Sherline cnc table that I bolted on the cross slide. On the table I made a holder for a dremel tool, than i took the x axis and redirected it to the table axis that is mounted on the cross slide. Manage to do some tapered fluting on a premade item that I had. Once I understood the speed control command and what settings did what, I could have the stepper turn the spindle in any position I needed. Then it was just taking the part I previously made on the lathe, and program in my flutes.

A word about software.... I started using Bobcad software back in the version 14 days and worked my way up to version 17.... them I switched to Vector Cad/Cam, started with 8, and stopped at 9.4. I use it all the time, but about a year or so, I purchased Bobcad 18....now some of you say bad things about it....... but in some ways it better and easier to use than Vector, although by using Vector, it actually helped me understand programming, no matter what cad/cam program one uses......they all have there good and bad points. I do find it easier to program 3d surfaces with Bobcad, and it much easier to do cad work.

Sorry this is so long, but I have so much to share and say.... It's a hobby that not too many people that i know understand, so when I get a chance to talk to others on the same level, it's a real joy!

Now back to the lathe and using a milling program .... so to have stepper control the spindel, and use the cross slide axis, z axis and the table axis that has the router mounted on it, may take a little more time to figure out.. but the possiblities would be outstanding, it's just a matter of program all four axis on the lathe as one would on a mill.

Russ

P.S. It is a 17" lathe, and I just received my riser blocks!

Hi Russ,

Yes, a mill program might suit you better. I like Vector CAD/CAM. Tried
BobCad, took for ever to get an idea how it worked. Vector was much nicer,
follows "cut and paste" concepts of Windoz.

No reason why not, Dave M. and I are thinking of doing some spindle control, and
this what you're talking about. I use the rotary table on the mill, and I've
cut fish bellies, flutes, etc. There you just USE the spindle, and the rotary
table is bolted to the ways.

On the lathe, it seems all turned around for doing what you want. Seems like
you need to bolt the spindle to the X axis (cross slide) and mount a CNC rotary
table where the spindle was. THAT would give you what I think you want. I
wonder how hard it would be to make these mounting plates? Probably need to use
riser blocks, or the equivalent.

We want the servo'd spindle for threading. I just got a G320 on loan. we're
thinking a PIC can be used to generate a constant rate on command for normal
turning, or pass through step/dir pulses for threading, or tasks like yours.

The 17" long bed of the long Sherline lathe would be a plus!

Alan KM6VV

Russ Waters wrote:

> You sound like the person I need to talk to about this... also you have some
good questions.

> Yes this is for my Sherline lathe..... long story short, is that I have been
using MicroKinetics software for the lathe, and it does work well.... but I
what to take it one step farther, have some ideas about using a step motor to
control the spindle, add a vertical table on the cross-slide, that has a router
mounted on it.......... Now I also have Mk's milling program, it has rotary
commands (A, V).... so now maybe I'm thinking it would be possible to use the
milling program to run the lathe for doing fancy spiral, fluted and even the
combination of all for some unique turnings (wood)........ What do you think.....
am I on the right track? Oh, I do have Bobcad 18, which does support rotary axis,
but not sure how in depth it goes....

> Russ
>
> Alan Marconett wrote:
> HI Russ,
>
> Is this for your Sherline CNC system?
>
> In general, the rotary table gets connected up as the 4th axis on your
> driver/PS box.
>
> CAD/CAM programs seem to be released in various levels, and may only
> generate Gcode for the rotary axis at their "BASE" level. Often the rotary
> table support is an option.
>
> Sometimes you can draw in XY, and then "translate" to say, the 'A' axis to
> "wrap" a cut around the table.
>
> I often to many repetitive cuts using loops, and just write the code by
> hand, using A, X, Y and Z axes as necessary.
>
> What's your application?
>
> Alan KM6VV

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
bill
List Mom
List Owner

Yahoo! Groups Links