CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 16mm Chuck needed...

Posted by jzmuda2000
on 2005-08-04 09:58:00 UTC
Dave,

Let me try to upload a picture.

In the meantime, I found a picture of my spindle on the Internet.

It's in the PDF file at
http://www.daiichisokuhan.co.jp/parts_a.pdf

How's your Japanese? :-) My spindle is the cylindrical unit in the
lower left hand picture on page 18 (the last page in the PDF file.)

Issoku kas told me that they made these a while back (early 90'?s)
for Hitachi. They are still trying to find the detailed records on
them for me. (Mighty nice of them.)

I am not even sure the Hitachi machine they made them for was a
Mill...it could have been an automatic drill...so that might account
for the unusual(?) threading.

BTW, the 16mm "shaft" (with the outside 1mm pitch metric
threads) doesn't appear to have internal threads or a taper.

Yes, the shaft IS hollow...as it fits over an underlying 6mm diameter
shaft that runs through the whole spindle and come out on "top" where
it is connected to a large pulley (or is it a flywheel? or inertial
damper?) near (about 2" shy of) the very top of the 6mm shaft. [The
larger 16mm shaft DOES extend far enough "up" through the body of
the spindle - towards the "pulley" end - that it passes through the
NSK bearings.] BTW, looking at the "business" end of the 16mm
shaft...I can see a semi-circular "clip" that I am guessing I could
remove...so that the larger 16mm shaft would slide off the
6mm "main" shaft. Hmm...needs a picture. Gotta grab that camera.

Perhaps if I could just fit a simple jacobs chuck over this thing I
would be set. That's why I was hoping that a 16mm shaft with
external 1mm threads...would be something that I could screw a
standard chuck onto. Hmm...

Jim

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<dave_mucha@y...> wrote:

> > Anyway, I have gotten to the point where I need to come up with
> > something that will function as a spindle.
> >
> > In keeping with my approach I found a $25 precision spindle made
by
> > Issoku (for some Hitachi mill..don't know exactly which one).
> >
> > I have noticed that the "business end" is a 16mm (close to 5/8")
> > diameter shaft with 1mm threads.
> >
> > I would like to put a chuck on this. Any idea if this is
standard
> > size. I realized that with the metric threads...I might find it
hard
> > to find a chuck to fit....but I wondered if you folks know of
this as
> > a standardly available size.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jim
>

> Is the shaft solid or hollow ? if it is hollow, there may be an
> internal taper that is already for some readialy available part.
>
> Can you elaborate a little on the shaft ?
> pictures ?
>
> you can put them on Yahoo's new, free flickr site
> http://www.flickr.com/
>

> Dave

Discussion Thread

jzmuda2000 2005-08-03 13:01:21 UTC 16mm Chuck needed... George Taylor, IV 2005-08-03 20:45:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 16mm Chuck needed... turbulatordude 2005-08-03 22:40:26 UTC Re: 16mm Chuck needed... jzmuda2000 2005-08-04 09:58:00 UTC Re: 16mm Chuck needed... curt_rxr 2005-08-05 07:52:50 UTC Re: 16mm Chuck needed... jzmuda2000 2005-08-07 09:35:20 UTC Re: 17mm Chuck needed...