CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC reading a A; drive ini file? How?

Posted by ibewgypsie
on 2005-08-05 06:22:20 UTC
Thank you very much for your effort, that's a lot of typing,
explanation. If I can help you just holler.

I got it booting on computer, thou others might need that info. Just
trying to be able to run it off the cd.. Can't change the cdrom, read
only. I will try the floppy method.

Windows kicked my butt for hours yesterday. A real bad day, I was
frustrated and vacuuming up around the mill (tim the toolman vacuum of
4 hp, 6peak) it will by the way suck up a air-quick connect, 3/8"x3"
bolts whack the tub. The str pipe came off the hose. The shards of
metal running in excess of 30mph hit me in the face. Sticking in my
cheek and rt eye. I had to pluck them outa my eyeball. It is trying to
swell shut this morning.
Then the intercom went off, and they would not answer. I ran up to
the house where my 9yr old daughter was alone near broke in the door
and it was my wife home, smiling.. I was jus tellin ya I was home.

But it couldve been a worse day.
I hope yours was much better.

Art sent me the windows XP config file this morning. Kinda like
closing the gate after the worthless-glue/dogfood-stud got to your
prize mare.

David

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> ibewgypsie wrote:
>
> >I got a bootable cd, release 37, for some reason rv46 bdi won't
boot on
> >my machine. I am running a Intel pentuim4 @ 2.4 gig.
> >
> > How do you start on a cdrom, then read a ini off a: drive"?
> >

> To boot from the CD, you need to make sure the CD is set as the first
> device to try booting from. All of them are different, but there must
> be some way
> to get into the BIOS setup screen before the system boots. Most
common is
> "press del for setup", but there are those that need F2, \, esc and
> other keys
> to go to the setup screen. In there, there should be a boot order
> selection.
> Once you have it booted up, you need to open a terminal window. There
> should
> be a "sea shell" icon on the bottom left. Click it and you should
get a
> character
> cell terminal window.
>
> Now, type the following :
> mkdir /mnt/floppy
> mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> ls /mnt/floppy
>
> (at this point, you should get a directory listing of the floppy)
>
> cd /usr/local/emc
> ./generic.run -ini /mnt/floppy/<file name>
>
> This should run EMC and tell it to read the ini file from the floppy.
> Now, the explanation.
>
> The mkdir command may be optional, but it seems on these the mount
> points are not set
> up by default, so the mkdir command creates a "mount point" in the file
> structure where
> the floppy file system can be mounted to. (This is nothing like how it
> works on Windows.)
>
> mount connects the floppy device (/dev/fd0) to the file system at the
> mount point /mnt/floppy
> It should automatically identify the floppy's file system, but if not,
> it may be necessary to
> load a kernel module with this command: modprobe fat
>
> ls lists the contents of the floppy file system
>
> cd changes the current directory location to what is specified
>
> ./generic.run runs the script generic.run from the current directory.
> the "./" syntax is
> a quirky linux thing due to the strict command syntax used by the bash
> command
> interpreter. The dot means the current directory, and the slash
> isolates the dot so
> it doesn't mean a dot as part of the file name. The rest of the line
> tells generic.run
> that you are specifying what ini file to use. the <file name> is
> replaced by the
> file name on the floppy. Note that all this syntax is case dependent,
> and the file
> name must be typed with the same case as it shows on the ls command.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

ibewgypsie 2005-08-04 19:56:05 UTC EMC reading a A; drive ini file? How? Jon Elson 2005-08-04 21:52:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC reading a A; drive ini file? How? ibewgypsie 2005-08-05 06:22:20 UTC Re: EMC reading a A; drive ini file? How? mpictor 2005-08-06 04:04:55 UTC Re: EMC reading a A; drive ini file? How? Jymmm 2005-08-06 10:43:33 UTC Re: EMC reading a A; drive ini file? How?