CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] When

Posted by Ron Ginger
on 2000-06-23 12:54:43 UTC
wanliker@... wrote:

> My questions today are:
>
> 1. When is it going to get easy to implement LINUX/EMC, without being a
> programmer to get it running? ......

Welcome to the wonderful world of Open Source! This will happen for one
of two reasons:

1) someone decides he can make enough money selling a 'distribution' of
this software to make it worth his effort to package. Linux itself was
like this a few years ago- it was free and on the net for the picking,
but a pain to get. A few folks (like Red Hat) decided there was money in
packaging, so it happened. I recall making 50 floppies off the net to
install my first linux.You really had to want it bad to do that!

2) some bright programmer will decide it would be fun to do and will
make it happen. But it will still be files on the net that you need to
copy and load.

I do not think EMC is likely to be a big enough market to make #1
happen. I have suggested this to the VP of product development for one
of the bigger Linux distributors, but he did not see enough market to be
worthwhile.

The documentation Ray announced earlier today will help make it a lot
easier, but it is always going to be hard for the computer novice.

The current issue of Linux Journal had several ads for companies now
doing Real Time distributions. If one of them makes a 'works out of the
box' RT, then EMC will be much easier. The last hrudle would be to make
an rpm of the EMC code. That is not hard to do, just tedious.

ron

Discussion Thread

Tim Goldstein 2000-06-23 12:52:38 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] When Ron Ginger 2000-06-23 12:54:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] When wanliker@a... 2000-06-23 13:22:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] When wanliker@a... 2000-06-23 13:24:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] When