CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys?

on 2005-09-16 14:19:42 UTC
Hi Alan R, list,

The cutter should look like a tooth profile. Remember that the teeth roll
against each other, not rub.

Cut a tooth profile on the end of a tool bit. Add proper relief after
getting the profile correct. A mandrel to hold the cutter (square, not
angled to the shaft) much like a flycutter is used to mill the teeth. XL
profiles can be laid out and ground by hand, if you are careful. Check the
profile against a fresh pulley.

Determine or calculate the diameter of the blank for the desired number of
teeth from pulley info tables. Some calculations will give you the depth
you must cut in from the diameter of the blank.

Cut a single tooth "recess" (tooth slot?) at a time making passes across the
face of the timing belt pulley with the "flycutter". Use the appropriate #
of passes (proper depth of cut per pass). Rotate blank to next position,
and repeat.

A good fitting pulley will closely fit a belt wrapped around it. There
should be no gaps between the teeth faces. There might be the slightest bit
of a gap at the bottom of a tooth recess in the pulley. Examine a similarly
sized commercial pulley and belt to observe this.

Check a Gates or other belt catalog for dimensions (most) of the belt and
pulleys.

Alan KM6VV

Discussion Thread

lcdpublishing 2005-08-28 09:07:57 UTC cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? turbulatordude 2005-08-28 12:01:19 UTC Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Robert Campbell 2005-08-28 14:17:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-08-28 14:47:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? turbulatordude 2005-08-28 15:22:34 UTC Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Blue 2005-08-29 11:16:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? R Rogers 2005-08-29 12:00:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? lcdpublishing 2005-08-29 14:22:01 UTC Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Blue 2005-08-29 17:03:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Alan Marconett 2005-08-30 13:28:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-08-30 13:31:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Alan Rothenbush 2005-09-16 13:40:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Alan Marconett 2005-09-16 14:19:42 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? turbulatordude 2005-09-16 14:55:46 UTC Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Richard 2005-09-16 17:35:56 UTC Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys?