CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys?

Posted by lcdpublishing
on 2005-08-29 14:22:01 UTC
Thanks guys,

I did get a spreadsheet from one of the members that helped out a
lot.

There is a very tight relationship between the tooth spacing and the
diameter of the pulley. In order for 'X' amount of teeth to fit
on 'Y' diameter pulley, the ratio has to be exact. In other words,
a pulley with 20 teeth MUST be exactly 'Y' diameter.

There is another aspect similar to gears too, it has to do with the
angle on the sides of each "tooth" so that the teeth on the belt can
enter and exit the "tooth slots" in the pulley without rubbing. So,
again, the angle on the sides of the "tooth slot" are important.
Sorry for the funny terms, gearing and pulleys are not my "cup of
tea".

Chris

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@y...>
wrote:
> Blue,
>
> Thats how I see it too. machine pockets in the gear for the teeth
of the belt to ride in. The pitch diameter and resulting blank
diameter would be calculated from the center point of the radius of
each belt tooth. the diamter of the pulley has little effect on the
shape of the belt teeth.

> Ron
>
> Blue <jo001k1132@b...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all I have not tried this but I have cut a lot of gears
using a
> home made hob. I did try using a single point cutter and dividing
head many
> years ago with some success but it wasn't perfect because I didn't
get the
> radius's right. It did work and is still going strong but it was
for a motor
> drive and no precision was necessary
>
> Wouldn't the pulleys be treated the same as for involute gears
just with a
> different pressure angle, I think it would be 50 degrees if memory
serves.

> The hob acts in the same way as a rack cutter and will cut any
size of
> wheel. Making the hob is an easy turning/milling job.
>
> Regards,
>
> Terry
>

> | > Does anyone have a drawing of a cutter or tooth profile for XL
series
> | > timing belts/pulleys? I am hoping to mill up some pulleys in
the
> | > comming weeks. I have a pulley and a belt in my hands, but if
someone
> | > has already made up a cutter drawing, it sure would save some
work!

> | > Thanks
> | >
> | > Chris
> |
> | We discussed this a few months ago.
> |
> | it is not the exact form unless you have one gear.
> |
> | Each gear tooth will be different on each gear as the total
number of
> | teeth changes.
> |

> | That said, check the files section.
> |
> | Alan has a program in a folder
> | Timing Belt Pulley - Program to generate Gcode to mill timing
belt pulleys

> | Dave

timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j... [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if you have trouble.

be a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

lcdpublishing 2005-08-28 09:07:57 UTC cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? turbulatordude 2005-08-28 12:01:19 UTC Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Robert Campbell 2005-08-28 14:17:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-08-28 14:47:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? turbulatordude 2005-08-28 15:22:34 UTC Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Blue 2005-08-29 11:16:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? R Rogers 2005-08-29 12:00:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? lcdpublishing 2005-08-29 14:22:01 UTC Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Blue 2005-08-29 17:03:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Alan Marconett 2005-08-30 13:28:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-08-30 13:31:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Alan Rothenbush 2005-09-16 13:40:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Alan Marconett 2005-09-16 14:19:42 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? turbulatordude 2005-09-16 14:55:46 UTC Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys? Richard 2005-09-16 17:35:56 UTC Re: cutter or tooth profile for XL series timing belts/pulleys?