CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: preping angle iron

Posted by Chris Horne
on 2005-10-21 07:06:13 UTC
In the old days, we would have added a thin strip of lead which
would pull down real nice . Nowadays, I guess that is frowned upon,
If I were doing it mow, I would treat the back of the rack with
silicone, (so that it doesn't stick) clean and rough up the surface
of the angle or beam and bed it on epoxy.. ether neat or one of the
metal filler jobs... cheap strong permanent and easy... especially
if you can align the beams horizontal for this part of the process.

If the surface is so rough the epoxy will run away, use modelling
clay as a dam

If they are so rough you have trouble aligning them, set it up first
on a couple of supports using shimstock then fill in the gaps..

it's amazing what you can do with a bit of glue!

Chris (-=Spiyda=-)

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<dave_mucha@y...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at mounting the gear rack on some angle iron or on the
web
> of a channel.
>
> The surface is very rough and I am wonding if I should d any work
on
> it, or just bolt up to to it.
>
> Ditto for the linear rails.
>
> I know there is a trick on dies to use paper to get a better
seating.

> I have angled washers for the web of the channel, and I don't have
> machine that could cut a flat on it over the 8 foot lenght.
>
> Dave

Discussion Thread

turbulatordude 2005-10-20 18:43:45 UTC preping angle iron Chris Horne 2005-10-21 07:06:13 UTC Re: preping angle iron Fred Smith 2005-10-21 07:10:34 UTC Re: preping angle iron John Johnson 2005-10-21 08:01:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] preping angle iron turbulatordude 2005-10-21 15:48:35 UTC Re: preping angle iron